Do you know the sex of these babies?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by maybetoomany, Dec 17, 2012.

1. maybetoomany

maybetoomany New Egg

Dec 13, 2012
    Hello all,
    Long time reader, first time poster, chicken newbie!
    I have three, 3 week old, plymouth rock chicks and have searched around to find out how to tell what sex they are but have only found posts which compare males and females but i think i may have three of the same, (other than their sizes they look the same). I was wondering if anyone could tell me from the pictures and how can you tell? Thankyou in advance and looking forward to gaining more chicken wisdom :)

Chick 1: smallest

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chick 2:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chick 3: largest
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Double Laced

Double Laced Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2012
    Yorkshire
    They both look like boys to me.

They seem to have slightly bigger and stronger legs and depending on breed they are feathering more like cockerels.

Pullets tend to feather more evenly.

there are other ways to tell, the roo's will have bigger combs that will grow and redden faster. they are also a little larger.

They also tend to stand taller and more upright. Pullet look a bit more boat shaped.

Sometimes they will play fight a bit as well.

do you have pictures of them as day-olds, I though Plymouth rocks were sexed by the dots and colours at day old.

3. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC!

Glad to have you with us. Here are my thoughts...

I agree that it would help to have day-old chick pictures. If not, wait a few more weeks and we can be 99% sure about their sexes. So far all look like boys to me too, but chicks can change really fast at that age. The last one is almost definitely a cockerel (stance, sparse feathers, lack of black on legs, large white head spot). I would check the head spots, I think the day-old sexing trick may still apply while they have their chick down on their heads: large, irregular usually means male; small, well-outlined usually means female. Pullets tend also to have darker legs, whereas yours seem to have light colored legs.

4. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    they are really to yooung but all of them look like cockerels

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I'm in agreement with hdowden. Those big old gangly legs and feet look pretty boyish to me.

6. salt and pepper

salt and pepper Chillin' With My Peeps

beautiful little boys! but it is a little young to know for sure

7. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    All cockerels.

8. maybetoomany

maybetoomany New Egg

Dec 13, 2012
    Thankyou all for your help! i really appreciate it! i will post a more pics in a couple of weeks to be sure. I am such a sucker when it comes to chickens, i am only new to this but we already have 9 other girls.
    unfortunately we picked them up as week old so no day old pics

Last edited: Dec 17, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by