Do you know what breed/sex this might be?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by snoel, Jul 22, 2013.

1. snoel

snoel In the Brooder

Jul 21, 2012
    [​IMG]

Hi there. This chicken showed up in our Pastors backyard, in the middle of town of all places. After approx. a week he caught it in a cage I lent him and we picked it up shortly after. We just got it home (thus the small cage) Does anyone know what type of chicken this is? Also can you tell from the colours etc. what sex it is? I am so new to chickens and would appreciate any help.
    Thank you in advance
    Susie

Last edited: Jul 22, 2013
  2. Majd

Majd Songster

Jun 22, 2012
    That's a hen... not sure about the bread..

3. snoel

snoel In the Brooder

Jul 21, 2012
    Thank you[​IMG] That's a start at least. I couldn't decide if it was a hen or just a young rooster that didn't have that typical beautiful tail yet.
    She is eating and drinking well and is now in with our girls for the night. Hopefully they will make her feel a little calmer and she will stick around. My girls are free range so I have to decide if I should leave her in for a few days until she gets used to things here or if I should just let her go out right away with the others. Something to sleep on.
    If you have advice on that too I would certainly take it.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    When someone finds a wandering chicken, I always thing game bird, but she really doesn't look gamey from the pics. She looks like a mixed breed hen, maybe a hatchery quality New Hampshire, something like that.

5. snoel

snoel In the Brooder

Jul 21, 2012
    Our Pastor and family live behind a Grocery store in town. They think that perhaps a farmer was in picking up scraps for pigs or something along that line and this chicken some how escaped while they where in the parking lot. She is very pretty but clearly afraid. I hope that she will calm down now that she is with the others. She will see them coming up to us etc. I feel bad that she spent a week in town hiding from cars. At first our Pastor was feeding her bread but then after a few days he told me about her and I brought him in proper food and the cage. She came to it many times to eat and finally with a little ingenuity he made the cage into a trap and hid so that he could catch her.
    He is an animal lover so I don't want to tell him he did all of that and then she took off the day after he gave her to us. I think I will keep her fenced in for a few days and let her get used to the coop area and the other chickens.

6. jesirose

jesirose Songster

Mar 14, 2012
    McKinney, TX
    You should put up signs in the local feed stores. If it was someone's and it got out, they're bound to be missing it. If someone's dog showed up in my backyard in the middle of town, I'd put up fliers, not consider it now my pet.

If no one claims it after a while, then it's yours.

7. Majd

Majd Songster

Jun 22, 2012
    Yeah that's the best option....and you might get some eggs from her when she settles in

8. snoel

snoel In the Brooder

Jul 21, 2012
    Apparently they already tried that (Locating the owner) but there has been no contacts. I would never presume that my Pastor and his family would just take something and claim it for their own or hand it off to someone else without considering who might be missing it. As I mentioned above he is an animal lover himself.

9. jesirose

jesirose Songster

Mar 14, 2012
    McKinney, TX
    It sounded like it's only been a week since he first saw it, that's why I made the comment.

10. snoel

snoel In the Brooder

Jul 21, 2012
    Point taken. We will certainly be understanding if someone contacts the feed store later and asks about a chicken. As a matter of fact I have to go get more food so I can let them know that I have her now if someone does ask.
    Sorry I took you comment the wrong way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: