Do you know what breed these chicks are please?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by HettyHen, Jul 24, 2014.

1. HettyHen

HettyHen Hatching

Jun 11, 2013
    Hello,

(I am in the UK if that makes a difference to which breeds I might have)

I bought some eggs to hatch and the lady marked the small white eggs as Pekin Bantams, and some large dark brown eggs with slight speckles as copper maran.

One of the white eggs hatched and out popped this little one:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It has a very weird way of standing, almost as if it wants to stand upright, rather than the way the other chicks stand. Is this a Pekin, I thought maybe it was just a cockerel by the way it stands up, but I don't have a clue. Its head is pretty fluffy. More so than the Pekin chicks I have seen... It also has a lot of brown fluff all around its neck. Weird.

Also the brown egg hatched and this little one was inside. Very cute but aren't copper maran chicks meant to be black??

[​IMG]

It is very light grey/silver coloured. But is this a copper maran chick?

Any help greatly appreciated. Thank you.

2. dee06

dee06 Chirping

Jun 26, 2014
    Suffolk UK
    Hello and welcome HettyHen, I am dee06, I am in the UK aswell, where abouts are you? those chicks are so cute, how many eggs do you have, I 9 chicks that about 4.5 weeks old now and hatched under my broody hen [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Crowing

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    The first looks like a gold laced polish. Sometimes black copper marans can spit out a "sport" which is white colored.

4. Basskids08

Basskids08 Chick Logging

I agree with the polish not to sure on the other little one! Very cute by the way! :)

5. Sionnach Dhu

Sionnach Dhu In the Brooder

I agree with the other posters that the fluffy-headed one definitely looks to be some type of "top hat" chicken, most likely Polish. Polish do also tend to have a rather upright stance.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: