Do you know your blood pressure?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by GaNewChick, Sep 14, 2009.

1. GaNewChick

GaNewChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    McDonough, Ga.
    A dear friend of mine stopped taking her bp medicine 3 months ago *couldn't afford to pay for it anymore* (I don't think she realized she could try and have the script changed for a generic brand ~ 4 bucks at Walmart.

Anyway ~ she had been taking cold medicine which can also raise bp. Her step-daughter dropped her off at the house at 6:00 last Thursday and when her husband got home 20 minutes later ... she was in her pj's laying across the bed dead. [​IMG]

From what the doctors are saying ~ high blood pressure, mixed with a cold medicine that raises blood pressure ... deadly combination. She had multiple brain aneurysms.

She just turned 43 on August 19th.

Have it checked ~ if you don't have health insurance, try and get a prescription that falls under the Walmart generic brand. [​IMG]

2. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    OMG..... thats so sad [​IMG] I have a normal low BP. My Doc says its my norm and its not unhealthy. I worry because my Dads Dad is the only one in the family with normal low BP and he dropped at about 50. I hope his heart problem was something not related to that low BP [​IMG]

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Depending on the time of day, mine is averaging about 125/80.... My Rx is a $4 one at Target.

4. crazy cat lady

crazy cat lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2008
    NW Illinois
    I check my BP everyday!

Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
  5. cthrash1

cthrash1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    When I was 220lbs my BP ran really high and I was on meds. Now I'm 50lbs lighter and had to quit my meds because evertime I'd bend over or get up quickly my BP dropped and I would get dizzy and off balance. Checked it during one of these episodes and it was 87/63. Now it stays around 122/83... I'm happy with that. I check it often to make sure it stays down. If it does go up I can usually tell cause I get a terrible headache.

6. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

In my earlier years I was known to have very low BO like 80/40. I take meds twice a day now for high BP, but have to monitor it so I know when NOT to take it. Like this morning 90/60. No meds!

7. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Quote:It helps BO too [​IMG]

8. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

[​IMG] actually 2 funny posts

Imp [​IMG]

9. Terri

Terri Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2008
    Level Cross, NC
    mine is below normal, but my doc says thats normal for me. it's like 113/67, but while i am exercising it go up.

10. KDbeads

KDbeads Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
    118/84 today. I was higher (think 150's/120's) when I weighed 60 pounds LESS. Been turned down for health insurance because of it this year too, 'high risk', even though it's now very well under control with a $10-3 month script from Walmart. Even though I'm highly under control I let it go too long (I'm only in my early 30's) and now I have damage to my blood vessels. If I grab onto something too hard I can break veins in my fingers. I popped a vein in my thumb Friday picking up the edge of a plastic tub.

Take it seriously folks, too many find out they could have prevented a stroke or TIA AFTER they have one. Most of the time it's poor diet, excess weight, and lack of exercise; for me and a small % of those diagnosed it's genetic.

Check your BP, check it often. This little thing and CHEAP meds can save your life.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by