Do you know your chickies?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by halo, Jan 10, 2008.

1. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    For those of you who hatch out chicks (is that like everyone??[​IMG]) lets say you are hatching out RIR one week, then in a few weeks you get some more RIR eggs and hatch out some more. Do you identify the chicks according to which batches they came out of, so in case you want to breed them, you know from which batch they came from. Did that make any sense???

2. jab91864

jab91864 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2007
    Northern Michigan
    I keep notes on my eggs or chicks. Stuff like who they came from hatch dates, how well the hatches did, candling notes etc.

I KNOW me well enough to know that if I were going to be doing a breeding program I would keep the same kind of notes on my birds as well. But I prefer a backyard flock theme at this time...lol

Julie [​IMG]

3. KingsCalls

KingsCalls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2007
    New Market,Tn.
    If they are your own eggs , I mark each egg as to which pen it came from. This tells me who the mother and father was. If they are from someone else....in your example.....2 seperate hatches...and possibly 2 seperate people....about all you know is they are from 2 seperate people. One batch may or may not be all related....and if somehow one of the people you got them from got theirs from the other person then they could be related in some form. You only really know if you collect the eggs yourself!

4. lannabun

lannabun Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    indiana
    Some i know if its not something i started out with . But lol im bad no notes and things .. as for my own id be lost to when it hatched and things like that .. i know bad chicky mom ..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by