1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do you leave food and water in the coop at night?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by fuzzy8, Apr 13, 2016.

1. fuzzy8

fuzzy8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2016
    Escanaba, Mi
    When my ducks are older I'm debating on keeping food in water in the coop At night? I would have food and water in there run all day but when I lock them up at night I would remove the food and water to keep down on the mess? I have 4 ducks and 3 chickens that are all being raised together from day one. And info or tip would help.

2. fourkidsandduck

fourkidsandduck Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    I would not worry about the food as much as the water. The ducks will be able to survive 12 hours without a meal. The water I would leave, especially with summer just around the bend. I have the privilege of not having to lock my Muscovies up a night. I do when they are little though, they are a perfect snack for a great horned owl. When they are locked up, I always leave water.

3. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    If you are going to continue having them in the same coop, I'd skip food and water at night. The ducks still make a mess with water at night and the chickens may not be so thrilled with that setup.

4. tmorgan46

tmorgan46 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2015
    Stafford, VA
    After 3 or 4 weeks of having to clean the coop daily, I removed both water and feed in the coop at night. This has reduced the mess in the coop significantly. I let them all stay out until it's after dark, I'm usually out with them, giving treats or just getting my own therapy. They spend between 8 to 9 hours in the coop at the most and I haven't had any trouble at all. I pulled the plug and went cold turkey on the change. One night there was feed and water and the next night there wasn't. No one complained a bit. :)
    They're happy as clams with no formal complaints sent to management...
    Your mileage may vary.

5. lomine

lomine Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2015
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I don't offer food or water in the coop and they do fine. If you want to offer water and not worry about the ducks making a mess with it, they can learn to use the nipple waterers.

6. fuzzy8

Mar 18, 2016
    Escanaba, Mi
    Yeah I think I'm going to opt out on doing food and water and maybe just mount a nipple feeder for night. My coop is 6x7 inside and I don't want to be cleaning it every day

7. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This keeps the bedding from getting wet.

8. fuzzy8

Mar 18, 2016
    Escanaba, Mi
    I like that idea

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by