Do you leave your pond out all winter for your ducks?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by jessylee, Oct 25, 2010.

1. jessylee

jessylee Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2010
    Olympia
    This is my first year with ducks. I have 4, 3 month old Muscovies. I have been doing research about what to do with the plastic kiddie pool this winter. I have heard to remove the pool during winter but so far don't seem to mind the cold. When is it too cold? I read Muscovies don't like the water as much as other ducks mine seem to spend a quarter or more of their day floating in the water. Are they smart enough to avoid the water if they are at risk of frost bite? I don't want them to get frost bite. Some people say use your boot, seems cheap but is the water going to be too cold? Ice sharp ect: Some say water heater sounds expensive and possibly dangerous, aeration, pump/ fountain.. Just wanted to know what all you seasoned duck owners are doing this winter. Thanks for sharing!

2. lleighmay

lleighmay Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    We experience regular freezes here so I switch out their pool for one of the large black hard plastic mortar mixing trays which I fill daily with warm water and dump out at the end of the day (or the next morning). Even if it does freeze the configuration of the tub makes it easy to dump the ice out. I find my girls usually take a dip in the morning when the water's warm and then just drink out of it most of the rest of the day. I also use a black rubber forti-flex pan for their drinking water since it's easy to take care of any ice in that. We haven't had any problems with frostbite so far.

3. TheFarmMama

TheFarmMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2009
    Stafford, VA
    I have Mallards and they stay in their pool throughout the entire winter even during snow. I have to go out and break up the ice and remove the larger chunks sometimes but they love it and we've never had any problems with them being in there despite the temps outside. Ours would pitch a fit if we took the pool out lol They seem to have good instincts to know when to get out.

4. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    I dont, here temp can get down to -35 degree C pretty quickly...

5. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I don't have ducks, but I always marvel at the wild waterfowl near my house. The water will be frozen over at the lake or slow moving river except for a small area and it will be packed with waterfowl! They are amazingly hardy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by