Do you let them out on rainy / miserable days?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jmeeter88, Oct 21, 2008.

1. jmeeter88

jmeeter88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    New Hartford, NY
    Do you let your chickens out on days like today when it is rainy and miserable? It's 45°F here...

Last edited: Oct 21, 2008
  2. wyliefarms

wyliefarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Fowlerville,MI
    yes, the chickens enjoy it. Before they get too wet they head for cover. If the rain gets hard they seek shelter, they come in the drizzle/light rain.

Crazy animals!

3. riderbecky

riderbecky Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Ottawa Valley
    I give mine the option by leaving the coop door open...in, out, do as thou wilt. [​IMG]

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Wish you would send a little of that wet, cool weather our way. We need it.... and the chickens would enjoy it.

I have a White Rock that will stay out to get wet under our sprinkler when all of the other girls head for the coop.

5. Picky Chicky

Picky Chicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2008
    Holly Grove, VA
    I'm hoping to get a large blue tarp to partially cover their run on yuck days...

What about snow days? They won't freeze to death outside will they? Obviously I'd leave their coop door open, but I wonder if that would make their coop too cold?

6. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    Mine are all out and free ranging. If it starts to rain really hard they head under a tree or bush or back inside the coop.

7. morelcabin

morelcabin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    It's 30 degrees and a snowstorm here... their pop door is open, haven't been up there yet to see if they have ventured out though:>)

8. Lee

Lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Marion County, IN
    Sure, I open their door and they can come and go as they please.

9. feathersgalore

feathersgalore Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2008
    Central Ohio
    I agree - mine get the option to come and go as they please. They are usually out in a light rain but stay inside in heavy rains.

10. 1brahmamama

1brahmamama Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2008
    Washington
    We have a run and leave the gate open to free range at will. They look forward to the rain as it brings more worms and bugs to the surface. Make sure you have plenty of straw in your run for the rainy season- so you don't get muddy eggs. I put the bail in whole and they have it spread out within the hour.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by