DO YOU LET YOUR GIRLS GO OUT IN THE RAIN?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chicky gal1, May 4, 2009.

1. chicky gal1

chicky gal1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2009
    PA
    Mine are out right now in the rain. I can't convince them to come back in! [​IMG] They seem to be having a great time digging for worms, but they really are soaked. should I make them come in?

2. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    If they're happy, let them play.

3. chicky gal1

chicky gal1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2009
    PA
    thanks, they do seem happy!

4. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Quote:Yeah, I agree. Better for them to get out and about and satisfy their curiosity about life than to be kept in and start getting on each other's nerves.

5. lisahaschickens

lisahaschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    Up here in the NW, my babies have grown up with the rain and they don't seem to mind it at all... They put themselves inside if the rain gets really hard combined with strong wind, but other than that, they play away. Plus, as you said, it brings out all the nice worms! Anyway, I'm very far from being an expert, but so far it hasn't hurt my chickies, so I say let them have fun! I would be interested to hear from a more experienced poultry person, though, if there is a particular reason to make them come in from the rain.

6. Chicken Fruit

Chicken Fruit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    Animals, back in the day, used to live outside full time- rain or shine. Theyre made for it.

Short of those silly breeds we make that just cant handle the weather for one reason or another.

Theyre fine. They'll come in when theyre too wet or cold.

7. wanda047

wanda047 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Hardy, Arkansas
    I usually just give mine the option. If it's a gentle rain, the door is open so if they want to go out they can and if not, they can stay inside. More times than not though, they think they have to go out in search of worms. If it's storming bad, I never open their door.

8. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

I covered part of their run with tin, so they could chose rain or not. It's up to them.

9. astylishgirl

astylishgirl Animal Lover Supreme

Apr 27, 2009
    Beaumont, Texas
    Same here. It was pouring yesterday and I was really worried. Mainly because my coop is not finished yet and their house is a small dog kennel. I tarped half of their run, but they chose to go out in the rain. When they got tired of it, they went under the tarp.

10. farmerlor

farmerlor Chillin' With My Peeps

My girlies are like "ooooh, icky, nasty, .....wait, is that food?"

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by