Do you let your hens go broody?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chicken farmer, Jan 21, 2014.

1. chicken farmer

chicken farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2012
    Southern,Ohio
    Do you ever let your hens go broody? If so when an how many hens to you allow?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    If I want to hatch, yes. Any time except perhaps the dead of winter. As many as want to be broody. If more than one I especially like to give each their own apartment, otherwise they steal each other's eggs and it doesn't go nearly as well.
    A broody provides the perfect conditions for the eggs, doesn't use electricity, doesn't have power outages or temperature spikes, she replaces an incubator AND brooder. If the hen is healthy, the chicks are healthier as they pick up her beneficial gut bacteria.

3. Bigrooster42

Bigrooster42 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 14, 2013
    My big layer never went broody and i had just two at the the time two hens and a roo at least but i had a pair of old English and the hen found a spot and laid nine eggs and went broody but it was extremely hot and they died. But i find that the exotics go broody more than the big egg layers because its been bred out if them but it can happen!! Never know til you try!!! Hope that helps!!

4. Pooman

Pooman Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2013
    Yes, whenever they want, however many want to go, I'll just need to build so,e more areas if i have more than say 3 go.

Except i think I'm banning one chook as she is a terrible mother and aggressive towards people.

Broodies are awesome

5. elsfieldchickens

elsfieldchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

I always let my hens go broody and usually give bantams 6 and large fowl10

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by