Do you let your roos duke it out?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by L&Schickens, Oct 25, 2008.

1. L&Schickens

L&Schickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    I have several roos here and introducing a new one to the "Free Range" scene can be hard. My new Bantam RIR and my old Serama roo will not get along. They are almost matched in size, but the RIR is a little bigger and younger. I don't know if I sould just keep one of them locked up when I let all the cages out together, or just let them fight it out. My Serama and my EE roo fought a few times, with the EE roo winning of course, but now I can at least let them out together without a fight.
    What do you think I should do?

2. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    It very much depends on the individual roo's.

I have 12 roo's, most of which straightened out their pecking order with little tifts that last less than 2 minutes.

On the other hand I have a BR roo that would absolutely not stop fighting with my RIR & BO roo, and if let go would kill them both. Funny thing is that he is housed with several other roo's and they have no problems getting along.

I can never let my lead BR free range at the same time as my RIR & BO roos.

3. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    I'm with Rooster-Red here. It depends on the particular situation. I have lots of cats who fight too. There aren't enough of me to be there every time a fight breaks out, so they have to sort some stuff out on their own. If it looks like I'm about to have a lot more work and expense treating wounds, I break it up.

4. L&Schickens

L&Schickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    The fight I just broke up had lasted longer then 15 minutes I believe. I broke it up a few times but they just went right back to it. Both birds were totally exhausted and I just picked them up no problem. I let the RIR stay out but locked up the Serama as he looked the worst. I feel bad, but I don't know if they will ever sort it out. I have a son of the old Serama who causes no problems at all and a Brabanter roo and a Jaerhon roo that all live together with hens. None of them cause problems even when I let out the big boy, Sunshine the EE roo. He is king of the world around here. I don't know if I should let him out with the Bantam RIR or not though. I have not done that yet. I know they would fight, but for how long? I don't want to kill my little RIR. So Sunshine stays locked up if Strawberry, the RIR is out. Sunshine is not one to pick a fight, but he will get into it if provoked.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2008
  5. chixrus

chixrus Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2008
    Rhode Island Red Roosters are often aggresive, try picking him up and trying to calm him down.

6. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    I agree with red on this one. I can house a bunch of roosters together without issue, but let a hen enter the equation and then some become problematic. If they don't settle the issue quickly they likely never will.

7. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

I let mine kind of scuffle. They have never had a real fight. But if that ever did happen I would have to separate them for good, I don't want any injuries or worse, deaths. If they are in the yard together, ever so often one will challenge the other but the longest "fight" has only last maybe 30-40 seconds.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by