1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do you light your coop at night?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by HeatherTheMommy, Oct 17, 2015.

1. HeatherTheMommy

HeatherTheMommy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2015
    Felton DE
    I have a red light in my coop that comes on at 7pm so the chickens will goin for the night and turns off at 7am. Should i not leave it on all night? Do you light your coops?

2. DanEP

DanEP Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Cadiz Ky
    No chickens need dark just like people do. If your chickens have been in your coop for a while they shouldn't need the light to go to roost either, they will do it on their own at dusk.

3. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Added lighting for increased winter laying is usually done by extending the daylight hours in mornings. Artificial light is to wake them up and get metabolisms going not to keep them up all night. When chickens go to roost at night they don't want or need any light. They went to roost, which means sleep. They don't need a night light to get up and pee as they poop right off the roost while sleeping.

4. HeatherTheMommy

HeatherTheMommy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2015
    Felton DE
    So when winter hits should I have it kick on in the am?

5. Rod-T

Rod-T Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2015
    Deer park, Washington
    Seems 14 hrs of light is the number alot people shoot for.. so in winter if you only get 8 hrs daylight..you need 6 hrs of light in coop.

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Had an interesting look at this last night....used the override on the timer yesterday, forgot to turn it off and didn't notice until after dark.
    Figured the birds would still be up and about eating, drinking, etc.
    Nope, they were all hunkered down on the roosts, ready to go to sleep.
    I was kind of surprised, but it reaffirmed that the time to add winter lighting is indeed in the early mornings.
    I know they get up and around early mornings with the light because I can see them out the window from where I sit right now.....
    ......and I get up early, with the birds haha...they are eating and roaming around on the roosts that I can see thru the coop windows.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by