Do you like this coop

Flippacase

Songster
10 Years
Nov 6, 2009
Massachusetts
Got the "plans" from a pamphlet at the feed store. Made by Purina(which i thaught made puppy chow)

44131_purinacoop.gif

Well they do make puppy chow. I think it is a prety nice little plan.. Looks pretty cool. I have alot of chcikens so this will be for my favorites. Are you going to build it?

Last edited:
This look very much like our "home-grown" coop. Features we like: sloping roof, extended nest boxes, roosts out of the way of nest boxes, elevated floor giving shaded protected run beneath, and room for deep litter. Our two end walls (for us, north and south) open wide as doors, giving loads of airing and cooling breezes on hot days. On very windy cold days, we close one end or the other to contain the draft. In order to deep litter the floor, we added one by eights set into the front edges of the door ways, containing the litter nicely. For winter, we've added straw bales on the north and east undersides of the coop for wind/sleet/snow baffles and this works well. Our hens have a small pop door under the coop on the west side of our barn, giving them access to an indoor run that's about 10 x 10. They m ove indoors and out with access to their coop at will. This has been a great help this COLD SNOWY winter so far. Have fun building and personalizing your new coop! ~G

Ours is very similar. But we have the nest boxes on the 'side' of the coop (not the side under the overhang, but perpendicular to where you have yours). Our chicken door is on the side where the over hang (the top over hang) is, and opposite of our nest boxes. We did it this way so we could fence in around the under side of the coop and not have to go in the run to collect the eggs. We also made the nest boxes on the same level as the floor (not half way up the side like you've got pictured) so it was easier to side and I could reach in and get the eggs.

hey guess what!!! WE Built that coop! it was kind of a pain cuz i dont know the first thing about building. and itdidnt tell you what size bolts/screws, whatever, it needs. you end up having to saw off peices AFTER you put it togeather cuz well the directions are kinda hard to follow. man it LOOKS easy, but it wasnt. but maybe that was just me? idk, the chickens like it. i have 7 in there and they are happy, BUT i did NOT do the roosts like that. i put two peices of wood from a pallet across the top area for a roost, its wide enuf for thier feet, and we also used hardware cloth along the top and under the roosts. That didnt work out the way i thought tho. anyways, you can look at my page and see how it turned out. i dont think i have any pics with the nest boxes on tho. ( we did those alot later)

eta, we put the nest boxes on the oppisite sie of the roostes

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom