Do YOU like to feed and watch wild birds?

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by 4 Love of Baby Chickens, Dec 3, 2008.

1. 4 Love of Baby Chickens

4 Love of Baby Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

One of my favorite hobbies is to watch the wild birds. I took one of the sun flower heads that I grew this summer and hung it on a branch in our pine tree outside my family room. I've been watching Tufted titmouse birds pigging out on the sunflower seeds. [​IMG] Post pictures of your favorite type of WILD bird. My favorite types are the Black-capped chickadee and the White-breasted nuthatch. [​IMG]

2. agnes_day

agnes_day Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    i love feeding wild birds!
    i have a family of cardinals that likes to visit my feeder, as well as bluejays [​IMG] they are just so fun to watch!

3. Tiramisu

Tiramisu Got Mutts

May 3, 2008
    Milan PA

Last edited: Dec 12, 2008
  4. 4 Love of Baby Chickens

4 Love of Baby Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] I [​IMG] birds. There is a BIG family of cardinals where I live. We always have 2 or 3 female hummingbirds. I never see the males. [​IMG] Oh well.

5. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    I love wild birds. I've got tons of cardinals, blue jays and chickadees here. This afternoon, I bought a new cedar feeder for them. Hung it on the front porch until I can think of some place better to take photos. [​IMG]

6. Cackel

Cackel Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2008
    yes , my computer is at the window and and I sit here looking outside and I have all kinds of bird feeder outside the window so I can watch them , Im such a kid at heart, no need to grow up this late in life.

7. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    I have many feeders scattered over my yard. I live out in the country and have tons of wild birds here. I have cardinals, rufous sided tohees, nuthatchs, jays, blue birds,scarlet tangers, red winged blackbirds, many humming birds, finchs and my favorite this year was the blue grossbeaks! What a treat!!!

8. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    It was my mother who fostered my interest in & love for feeding the wild birds. We always put out bread & bird seed in our back yard and spent lots of time looking out the window in the back door at all the birds who came to dine. Since then, it seems that every where I live one of the first things I do is install a bird feeder in a location visable to the house.

When I moved here 5 years ago there was a place in the back yard where the previous owners had their above-ground pool with a wood deck. They removed the pool & ripped out the deck but left 3 6-foot posts in the ground. Those became the beginning of my present bird-and-butterfly garden. I fastened plastic plant saucers to the tops of the posts (after drilling small drain holes in them) and place bird seed up there. Around the base of these posts I've been planting bird-and-butterfly-attracting plants, and gradually expanding this garden year by year.

I also have several bird baths placed around the yard, sometimes they attract more birds than the feeders. My chickens love hanging out in the garden, harkening back to their jungle roots there. They peck at the berries, scratch in the mulch, and peck up the spilled bird seed. I had one little roo who would fly up to the feeders and kick out the seed to an adoring crowd of hens below.

My dear old Mom is long gone from this world, but her love of nature lives on in me, and is now being passed on to her grandchildren. Thanks Mom!

9. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    When i was 9 - 10 -11 and 12 during the summer i would go out back my house early in the morning and feed the wild birds and end up almost siting there watching until the evening [​IMG]

i just love watching them as well and i still do it sometimes

10. Justino

Justino ♪♫ Rockin' Rooster ♪♫

Dec 21, 2007
    KY
    i do, and i used to love hawks until i got my cickens.....now i HATE them lol [​IMG] but i love to see em when im driving [​IMG]

we have titmouse, black eyed junko, jays, rock doves, sometimes we get some really pretty yellow ones that i dont know what they are and we get house finches, golden finches, sparrows, chikadees, and oreals parts of the year [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by