Do You Love Your Chickens TOO Much?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Peaches Lee, Oct 6, 2011.

1. Peaches Lee

Peaches Lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    I certainly do. Last night one of my Golden Comets named Blondie didn't come in to roost. I was panicked. I had seen her by herself by my Lilac tree, she helped in the garden to harvest some pumpkins, then when I left to help my mom administer fluids to my grandma's cat (totalling 1 hour), I came back home to find her missing. Everyone was in a calm state and looking around I couldn't find any feathers or a sign of struggle. I looked in the barns, the sheds, the Lilac tree--no Blondie. It was dark and the search was futile. I was very upset.

So today, first thing, I set out my search on the farm, cold and fog covered I still couldn't find a single feather to evidence an attack. I hadn't taken my pistol with me, so didn't go into the deep grasses, where the dog was going nuts, so I headed back. I tried to think of the possible predators that could have taken her so stealthily, with no evidence left...fox, bobcat or domestic cat. Falcon and hawk would have left some feathers, but it was about dusk, so an owl maybe, but still no feathers. A fox could sneak up, but once I saw a some grouse feathers and later found an enitre pile of grouse feathers further away by the woodline, didn't seem likely, no feathers. Domestic cat seemed likely, but the mice are in abundance right now, and I figured she was too big to carry off somehere. So I figured bobcat, clean kill, takes off, not a trace.

Well, after all this contemplation and hiking around my farm looking for clues, I decided to go into the barn and check on all the other chickens and lo and behold who is in there but miss Blondie herself!! [​IMG] Absolutely relieved I picked her up and gave her a hug! Yes, I love my chickens too much!! [​IMG]

So, it looks as though she was laying in a very, very well hidden spot in the barn (which I did find!) and just didn't feel like going to roost in her designated stall for the night. What a relief. [​IMG] Does anyone else go into an absolute frantic panic when a chicken goes missing?

Blondie
    [​IMG]

2. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    I wouldn't say frantic...but I do headcounts every night! [​IMG]

3. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Quote:X2 if they were out free ranging!!

4. KarenP

KarenP Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Westport
    Yes i would be an absolute nut!!! I am way to attached!!

5. 4 Love of Baby Chickens

4 Love of Baby Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Horray! [​IMG]

I sure hope I find my New Hampshire Red pullet Elly Mae. She came up missing when I head counted the flock. And I had just seen her maybe a half hour before that.

6. Dowie

Dowie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Yes, I would panic like you as well! And anyway, what sort of farmer would you be not to scour the area looking for your animals? It's a horrible feeling when they go missing.

7. cajun Rabbit

cajun Rabbit Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2011
    If we let our girls free range, yes!

I worry about all of our family when they are out and about [​IMG]

when I read OP, I wondered "why would you go looking for a missing chick, that may have been snatched up by a wild predator, WITHOUT a pistol ??" if it was a bobcat or something bigger, it may be back for breakfast.... [​IMG]

Glad it turned out ok though.

8. GardenGal

GardenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western WA
    That's not loving your chickens too much, that's being a good and faithful guardian! I spend a lot of time with our chickens, and felt rewarded when a friend who'd had practically feral chickens said, "these (your) are the friendliest chickens I've ever seen!" Animals know when we love them [​IMG]

9. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    I only have two. Had three earlier this week but the EE bullied the BO while we were on vacation last week so I gave her away. But the BO won't eat. I took her to the vet who can find nothing wrong w/ her. He thinks she just is frightened beyond belief. He said to feed her anything she'll eat to bring her around. Chickens don't have much in the way of long term memory so hopefully this will be short lived.

So tonight I picked up 100 crickets at the store and sat and hand fed her each and every one tonight. Now that's love! [​IMG]

10. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    When the girls where young one escaped the cardboard corral, and somehow I knew immediately without doing a head count. Although the cardboard corral was in the garage and there was no chance of predation, I still dropped to all fours to search for her. Here I am crawling around looking under the ancient Bronco and found her sitting on the front wheel perfectly comfortable.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by