Do you love your roo? I do.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Solsken Farm, Jun 27, 2008.

1. Solsken Farm

Solsken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

We have a few roos. They are still babies (6 weeks or so), but I love them. [​IMG]

Especially the rather unattractive mutt roo who is all white except for ONE splash feather. I was sure he was a roo when I saw him with his other BR hatchmates. I didn't want him as he was even UGLY as a one week old, but I couldn't leave him alone, taking all the others. So home he came, and I thought if he isn't a she, he is outta here, soon. Of course that is the one my darling six year old son picked as "his".

Well this guy has turned out to be top dog, but as gentle and good as can be. He is definitely doing his thing, keeping the girls in line, protecting them and generally watching his flock. Boy, is he busy. He is also the first to jump on our laps and allow us to pet him. Hoping he continues to be this sweet and effective. He will be our free ranging protector as long as he continues to be this lovable.

2. chilling in muscadine

chilling in muscadine { I love being disfunctual }

Jun 8, 2008
    muscadine, al.
    [​IMG] I love my roo's & couldn't imagine life without them. They are great protector's and are far more entertaining then my hen's, except when biddie's are being hatched of course. I have one rooster that's raising 3 biddie's, now that is a sight. PEACE

3. chickens4jojo

chickens4jojo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2008
    Upstate South Carolina
    I love my silkie roo. He has always been the friendliest and always lets you pick him up~~Just too sweet! [​IMG]

4. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    We all get a kick out of our red Frizzle Cochin bantam Spaghetti...... especially when I am rounding up the chickens to put them to bed and he is left alone in the run with Roxie (who is Charli's girl) and his girls are already put away... he likes to try and impress Roxie with a little sideways shuffle and some treats that he's found in the dirt [​IMG] She's never impressed though. LOL But it sure doesn't stop him from trying [​IMG] Charli is oblivious.... I don't think he'd know what to do without Roxie... but at the same time... he bows out of the roo dominance game [​IMG]

5. DrakeMaiden

DrakeMaiden Overrun with Drakes

Jun 8, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    For me, it's the drakes. I don't know why they have to be so darn charming.

I have also had the "ugliest" runt duckling turn into the biggest, most beautiful, and sweetest dispositioned boy. I guess you never know.

6. Mulemom

Mulemom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2007
    Sacramento, CA
    King Louis is my roo. He came from the SPCA. He was a stray and my friend that vollunteers there kept telling me I should come look at him. I haven't had very good luck with roo's so I wasn't going to, but she talked me into it. He was living by himself in a dog run for a month. I was hoping he would not be too aggressive, so I went in to see what he would do. He walked up to me, and let me pick him up, let me love on him, mess with his head feet, no problems. So he went home with me. I turned him loose with my girls and he was so excited he was just turning around in circles trying to decide who to jump on first. He picked one and she promptly kicked his a**! I had to rescue him, clean him up and put him in a rabbit cage inside the coop for a few days. He's quite the gentleman now. Always waits for an invitation, never just jumps on them. He is not as human loveable as he was when he was alone, but he's not aggressive to people either. He does attack my 105 lb lab who used to enjoy just hanging with the hens, and the other day when they were free ranging, he went after my 16hh saddle mule. Romeo just swished him away with his tail.

He seems to make them go to bed earlier too, which is good because I go to bed early and don't have to get up to shut the coop anymore!

He's a good boy and I love the crow!

7. Solsken Farm

Here are a few of our roos. I have to stand corrected on the white roo. He is growing up to be quite handsome. He is getting more black specks all over him. He does an amazing job watching over everyone.

My son named him Snowy. I call him Captain.
    [​IMG]

Here is our BR/EE mix, Puff Daddy. He is so sweet. He sleeps next to the white roo alot. I hope they stay pals.....

[​IMG]

8. Solsken Farm

[​IMG] Look at the legs on your boy!!!!!!!!! He looks like he could be in an ad for pantyhose or be in some dance company![​IMG] Very sweet.

9. nieceharr

nieceharr Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2008
    Connecticut
    We can't imagine life without our roo! His antics, his crowing - we love all of it. We never intended to get a roo, as we bought all pullets, but apparently they weren't 100% accurate. We are keeping our fingers crossed that our neigbors don't complain, as we live in a suburban neighborhood. My kids (and I) would be absolutely DEVASTATED if we had to get rid of him. He's very sweet, very vocal (not just crowing, but other types of noises), very protective of his girls. He "announces" when we get home.

[​IMG]

10. Grindlefamily

Grindlefamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    Fairfield, ME
    Is that white one from me??? I have his sister here then - as she doesn't have much of a comb at all. Your br mix is definately the brother (or sister??) of mine as well, but mine seem to have dark red combs and wattles - they may need other homes soon [​IMG] but we'll see - no crowing yet and they are 8 weeks old (fingers crossed)

Louella

Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by