Do You Love Your Winter Waterer?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by corliss, Nov 1, 2010.

1. corliss

corliss Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2010
    I have six chickens, this will be our first winter here in Connecticut and I have read all I could find on the forum on heated waterers. I dislike my current three gallon plastic waterer as it has too many crevices to scrub but I was thinking of using it with a heated metal base and a stepping stone in between. Does anyone have a plastic waterer they absolutely love that is easy to clean? Or a metal one that is also easily cleaned?

2. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I've only used our heated metal base with the metal waterers. I have no idea how they would do with other materials in beween it and a plastic waterer, as a buffer. That is definitely an off-label use. It might work, you might melt the waterer or it might not keep the water unfrozen.

For only 6 chickens, you might be able to get by with a large heated dog bowl. I've used one of those for smaller numbers of chickens. Bowls are super easy to clean, compared to waterers.

3. thereverend

thereverend Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2010
    I am just using the regular waterer and have my coop heated. Last night it was 29 out and the coop was 60F so..
    i dont think the water will freeze but you never know.. Is your coop heated?

4. newchicksnducks

newchicksnducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Last year I purchased the plastic heated waterer from Meyers Hatchery (they're within driving distance [​IMG] ) It worked really well. There are still the normal crevice cleaning, but I just use a scrub brush and warm water every few days. You cannot immerse the base...electronics contained in it. I wouldn't want to use the regular plastic waterer w/a metal recommended base. Not only might it not work, it might be flamable - not what you want in a coop! Good luck.

5. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

I use a heated dog bowl inside a rubber stock bowl- very satisfactory. But don't use for small chicks- it's too deep. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
  6. karimw

karimw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Eastern IA
    Quote:Oooh good idea - i'll try that [​IMG]

7. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

I use a heated dog water dish that has a solid bottom ~ I turn it upside down and sit my plastic waterer on top of it. It keeps the water from freezing but doesn't damage the plastic waterer.

One thing to be careful of when using large open water dishes in the winter is that chickens with large wattles may get their wattles wet while drinking which could lead to frostbite.

8. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Good point, Julie. I have an insulated coop and it hasn't been a prob for me, but could be in certain situations! [​IMG]

Good adaptation with the waterer...

9. moetrout

moetrout Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Milan, MI
    I am going to try a five gallon bucket with 2 water nipples mounted on the bottom, hung from the ceiling. I will use a bird bath heater plugged inot a thermocube to keep it from freezing. Wish me luck!

Oh and thanks to Neil for a great deal and fast shipping on the four water nipples. I think it was all less than 10 bucks shipped to my door!

10. catterbug

catterbug Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2010
    Ohio
    I add apple cider vinegar in my waterer to help keep it clean. The vinegar helps keep the slime away between fillings. Plus it is healthy for the chickens. I use the one with the "mother" in it and I only use about a Tablespoon. Off the top of my head I think I have a gallon waterer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by