Do you make an actual profit from selling eggs/chicks?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by joebryant, Jan 9, 2010.

1. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

I honestly cannot imagine how any backyard chicken owner could make a profit from selling eggs for food and/or fertile eggs for incubating and/or incubated chicks.

Am I wrong? Can it be done if all expenses for production are considered?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  2. Terri O

Terri O Chillin' With My Peeps

If you could I'd sure like to know how! Terri O in WI

3. heritagebirds

heritagebirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Eastern Shore MD
    Everything I've ever read has pretty much said no. If I could cover some expenses, that would be great!

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I think if you're honest with yourself about all the expenses that go into them....pens, feed, etc, there is no way that you can make a profit. Selling hatching eggs is the only thing that even really helps me out at all on the feed bill let alone any of the other expenses.

5. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Well, I'd say hatcheries wouldn't be doing it if it weren't profitable, but even for the backyard chicken farmer, I'd say it IS possible but would depend some on your actual expenses. For example, if I spent $1000 on building a coop and run, it would be a LONG time before I reached break-even point let alone made a profit, whereas if I built my coop from scrounged materials so that it essentially cost me nothing, I could reach that point a lot sooner.

I only have one pullet who has laid, and she has only laid four eggs so far [​IMG] but since I got my coop for free off Freecycle, made my feeder and waterer from materials obtained for free/cheap, and allow them to free-range to bring down my feed bill, even with feeding them since August, my break-even point will be reached within a short time of the last of my six hens starting to lay.

I am not in this to make a profit - my goal is to provide my family with eggs, give some to close friends/family, and sell a few dozen a month to cover the ongoing feed bill. In other words, I want the hobby to pay for itself. But I can see expanding operations and making a profit....

6. Terri O

Terri O Chillin' With My Peeps

I LOVE your signature about the farmer not dreading going to work on Monday! Before my husband was laid off I loved Monday....finally the place all to myself! Terri O in WI

7. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Someone'd have to pay me a hundred dollars to go through all the trouble it'd take just to pack and ship a dozen eggs or some chicks, and that's saying nothing about the possible worth of the rare or common breeds' chicks or eggs.

8. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Simply put..... NO.

9. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:Thanks [​IMG] Right now with the weather we've been having I'd take a day or two break from chores.

10. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I suspect that a lot of folks forget to factor in the cost of their labor. My time isn't cheap- I could be earning an actual paycheck instead of tending the chickens. But I CHOOSE to ignore that, since the birds are more of a hobby. If I can get a little of it back, I consider that as contributing to my hobby, not my cost of living profit line.

I don't think very many people, if any, make a true profit from raising backyard chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by