Do you make an actual profit from selling eggs/chicks?

What an interesting thread. I guess it really depends on where you live and how much money you want to spend on the chickie condo. I sell my eggs at Farmers Market at $4.00 per doz. Between that and the tax deductions finally after 3 years yes I am making enough money to cover their expenses plus some. One caveat is I have solar panels, so no electricity bill. But, it sure doesn't pay for my time which as mentioned by others is my therapy with the hens and duckies.

I went in to chicken raising as a hobby, knowing the bonus would be the eggs. My mother in law has a beauty shop that is separate from the house and she has several older ladies who are wanting the eggs. I'm thinking of getting my 12 and 8 yr old to do a lot of the chicken chores, and in return, they can pocket the money from the egg sales. I've got a ways to go though since they're only 8 weeks old.

I don't think I'll ever make a profit,but this is the most fun I've had in a long time.Fun to watch them grow up.I'm not in it for the money,more to become more independent.During the depression[I think we are stillin one and its gonna get worse]my grandparents raised chickens and had a big garden.dad said they never went hungry.He says I'm a lot like his dad.That made me feel good.Iget more enjoyment out of this than a lot of other things.Can you put a price on a smile on your face???? I think not.While I'm new at chickens,,a 1 acre graden has done me well.Another hobby to keep me out of trouble.I do make money on the garden,chickens right now are just for fun.If I break even,thats a bonus!!!! Kevin---- the garden might be a loss this year with all the rain.Nothing in it yet and its still raining.
sad.png
sad.png
sad.png
sad.png
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom