Do you mark your chick and is so how?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by OurSweetLabs, Mar 21, 2012.

1. OurSweetLabs

OurSweetLabs Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2009
    South Carolina
    Do you mark your chicks in any way to help tell them apart, we have chicks about to hatch and some from cackle and would love to put them together, but at the same time want to know who from our birds and who is from them.

2. ButchGood

ButchGood Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2012
    Central Texas
    I heard some people talking about a tiny drop of food coloring. Seems safe to me.

3. AnimalCrazed

AnimalCrazed Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Idaho
    I know some use toe punching, but if yours are a light color food coloring or a non toxic Crayola marker should do the trick! you might have to re-apply when they feather out a little. And don't use the color red, the others will be drawn to the color and might peck the poor chick!

4. Dingo

Dingo Chillin' With My Peeps

You could put a ziptie on the leg, or something similar as a leg band. I use colored zip ties, they work fine.

5. AnimalCrazed

May 1, 2011
    Idaho
    I often wondered about that!! Good idea!

6. tweetysvoice

tweetysvoice Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2011
    Lawrence, KS
    My Coop
    I put food coloring (blue) on the back neck of one of my chickies so I could tell her apart from the other delaware in the group. She's 3 1/2 weeks old and I've only had to reapply it once. Just used a cottonswab to apply it the second time, cuz the first - my fingers were blue for a few days! LOL

7. heybarb

heybarb Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    North Carolina
    We have 4 chicks that all look the same...so we used food coloring - blue & green. I agree with using the cotton swab, I ended up with color all over me!!

8. UtahChickenDad

UtahChickenDad Out Of The Brooder

I used colored zipties but had to change they a few times as they got older, after week 5 was able to use split ring colored bands I picked up at feed store.

1 person likes this.
  9. ButchGood

ButchGood Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2012
    Central Texas
    I have 2 different breeds Buff Orps and Australorps. 6 hens of each. So Im going to get 6 different color leg bands or zip ties. The rooster will be the only rooster so no band for him.

10. AnimalCrazed

May 1, 2011
    Idaho
    I just tryed it on my BO! I still have a green finger though, cause I stroked her till she was dry!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by