1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do you mind helping me determine age of these chicks?!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MistyK, Apr 20, 2007.

1. MistyK

MistyK Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2007
    [​IMG]

Sorry; I know you all get this a lot! These are the chicks we won at the fair last week, and I *thought* the man said they were 3 or 4 weeks old. What do you think? Thanks so much!

Misty

2. cockadoodlemom

cockadoodlemom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2007
    Texas
    I am no expert but that baby is no 3 or 4 wks old. You sure he didn't mean 3 or 4 days? [​IMG] I would guess no more than 1wk old. Hopefully someone else with a lot more experience than me will reply soon. [​IMG]

3. chickenranchwife

chickenranchwife Chillin' With My Peeps

Don't think their 3-4 wks. More like a week or two weeks. They grow soo fast so enjoy them. Are they Buff Orpington's? That's kinda what mine looked like at 2 weeks.

4. Critter Crazy

Critter Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    I agree definitely not 3-4 weeks!! mine are 3 weeks old, you can see a big difference!

[​IMG]

5. MistyK

MistyK Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2007
    Oh, my goodness! Well, I'd moved them onto the back porch in their box with the heat lamp because they were making my house smell like a chicken coop, LOL--should I move them back inside?? It's about 75 degrees out . . .
    That's the youngest-looking, but even the older looking ones don't look as . . .developed as the ones you posted as being 3 weeks old. They are New Hampshire Reds.
    Thanks for the help! I wish I could look in their mouths to tell for sure *exactly* how old, LOL!

6. AccidentalFarm

AccidentalFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2007
    2 weeks would be a good guess. By 3 1/2 - 4 weeks they'll look like they're having a 'bad hair day' everyday til their feathers come in completely.

7. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    From the pictures I would say 2 weeks at most! Pretty sure the person you talked to must have meant 3-4 days old when you won them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by