1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do you move your chicks around the house?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mrv19, Mar 12, 2016.

1. mrv19

mrv19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2016
    Just what the title says. Im tempted to set them up in the kitchen near a sunny window with their heat lamp today. They arent messy yet...still little. Right now they're in an unused bathroom.

2. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    Honestly I would not put them in the kitchen even though they are little. There is a lot of dust from chicks that will be in the air and not to mention they do scratch about in the litter a lot. That would mean droppings dust floating about too.

Next chicks I raise will be done in the main coop. Not liking still finding chick dust a year later in the closets and as I wash walls. It is clear they make a TON of dust.

That is the advice I can offer.

3. mrv19

mrv19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2016
    Thank you. I have only 4 and they are 3 days old. I will leave them up here for a bit today and move them back. They are enjoying the sunny spot for now, but yes you are right they are well on their way to becoming dusty little boogers which is why we chose to brood them in an unused bathroom. This is more to serve my obsessive need to keep watch over them where theyre so new to us. Just wondering if anyone else does this in the first few days

4. BantyChooks

BantyChooks Smile Premium Member

Aug 1, 2015

I do.... I keep them upstairs (if I have a small amount of chicks) and then move them to the cellar when they are a week-2weeks old.
    -Banti

5. azygous

azygous Overrun With Chickens

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    You might get some new ideas by reading my article on the psychology of brooding chicks and how the confinement or freedom of where they're brooded affects their development. Click on the second of the three links below this post.

6. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO

Baby monitors :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by