Do you name your chickens and if so how do you choose their names.

I only name my roosters and that's for ease of reference. Geronimo, Frodo (4 yo named HIS rooster) and Diesel.

I do have one hen named Neurotic- she was brooded alone and never has been quite "right".

Well I named a few of my hens:

There is Hope, Ginger, Nosey Rosey, and umm well there is one other but I foget her name. I will let you know if I remember!

Cody!!

I don't except for the occasional rooster that gets a
somad.gif
name
hide.gif

Ohh forgot to mention why they have their names:

Ginger: She is a NHR and has the best feathering and has a ginger coloring.

Hope: She is another NHR and we thought she would die because she was so little at first.

Nosey Rosey: She is another NHR and she was the first to fly the brooder. She also loved my kitty!

Ohh the other is Baby. She is a shaver red and loves to be around me. She even sits on my shoulder

Cody!!

some we name and some we don't. some get a collective name. we call all the Brown Leghorns, 'Brown Leghorns'.

we choose names to go with the area the birds originated from, how we got the bird, a physical characteristic or a personality trait.

ie:
Sister Mary Agnes is a sassy Catholic school girl type
Della-What and Della-Who are Delawares
Dutch is a Delaware. the Dutch people settled Delaware
Belgie...because we are Belgian, and she runs with her head down like a Belgian fighter
Dolly is the type who looks like a Dolly Parton type
Matilda is an Australorp, named for "The Waltzing Matilda"
Rex named because he thinks he's the king. (Rex is latin for king)
Huck-a-Buck is named for a term my FIL uses for tightening something down. 'You have to put the huckabuck on it'. and that's what he does for the flock.

I always name mine!!! I have a BLRW named Lola.....she was an early hatch and spent a full day alone...snuggled into a black velvet bra with feather trim. She ended up Lola because of it. LOL BLRW male and female named Hansel and Gretel because my hubby thought it was cute. We have an EE bantam roo, Edward, because my 11 y/o names EVERYTHING from the Twilight series of books. An EE hen, Dexter, she had "nerd glasses" as a baby. BTWJ named Kawaii...cute in Japanese. My hubby is about to get his long dreamed of La Fleche....he wanted "evil" names but has just about decided that the roo will be named Edgar (after Edgar Allen Poe). One hen will be Erzsebet (for Erzsebet Bathory...look her up if you don't know...amazingly evil woman). Ahhhhh....the list goes on and on......LOL

I named my ducks because I got all 3 of them together, one female was a blonde, one female was a brunette, and the male was kind of goofy....
So yeah, Jack, Janet and Chrissy
big_smile.png

Of course, when I got the 4th duck, I kept with the theme, so that's how I got a Lana.

Naming is great for reference sake,so if you tell your friends or family members about them they will know which one you're talking about.

I just name mine based of personality.

Yes, I name mine!

We have:
Pocket
Lily
Martha
Singer
Big John
Strut
Black Beard
Gloria
Sterling
Sylvia
Singer
Brownie
Beaker
Faith
Hope
Charity
Maddie
Elizabeth (2 actually)
Ruth
Sparkles (son named this one)
Jett
Monroe
Polk
Louisa
Quincy
Cricket
Anna
Boaz
Chirpy
Smoothie
Tori
Robert
Fran
Henny Penny
Pheobe
Phyllis
Diesel
Deuce
Edna
Gertrude
Lacey
Greta
Porkchop
Drumstick
Mumble
Emmy
Naomi
Roosevelt
Lunar
Skye
Blue Lou

And then we have some yet unnamed hens, and they are unnamed because we can't tell them apart LOL

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom