Do you need a hard stone or concrete area for scratching in the coop.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Biggles, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Biggles

Biggles New Egg

Feb 19, 2014
    South Australia
    Very new to all this chicken raising stuff and have been preparing the coop. So do I need an area of stone or concrete in the coop so the chickens can scratch and keep their talons trimmed.

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    welcome to BYC i put a cinder block or two so they can wear down their beaks on it . not sure about the nails, i trim them when they get too long. if they free range they keep them down some by scratching in the dirt for yummys.

3. Biggles

Biggles New Egg

Feb 19, 2014
    South Australia
    Thanks for that. They will have day access to an outside are that is penned that is dirt so should be fine.

4. Irishhenman

Irishhenman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2013
    Ireland
    First off chickens have claws not talons
    secondly, no you won't need any stone area, their claws will not grow very much and outside access on dirt will wear them down.
    Chickens would not use a stone area to wear down their claws but if their claws do get out of control clip them with a nail scissors

5. blucoondawg

blucoondawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Northern Wisconsin
    I have a large rock in my run they like to mess around on but I have never had chickens claws get out of hand even without rocks

6. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    if their on the ground going about their business, they are claws. if they are jumping on you or land on a bare arm , they are talons !! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by