do you need a liscense to sell eggs?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by redhen, Jun 7, 2008.

1. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    just wondering with all the federal food laws and such..just in case i decide to give it a try...thanks, Wendy

2. professor-yellow

professor-yellow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Requirements are different for every State. Check with the Department of Agriculture.

3. FutureChickenMan

FutureChickenMan Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2007
    Exactly. In washington state you can sell eggs where they are "produced" no license required. However, if you want to sell them other than where they were produced (i.e. farmers markets) you have to get a business license, egg handlers license and some stickers from the Agriculture folks. All in all about $70 out of pocket.

4. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    in missouri you can sell them from your house.Now if you wanted to sell them at a farmers market you would have to get a license and its like 5 bucks.I went to my local county extention and got the info.
    http://www.csrees.usda.gov/Extension/

5. professor-yellow

professor-yellow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Not only 70 dollars out of pocket, but have your place open to government inspections and audits.

6. ravenfeathers

ravenfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    vermont
    you can check with your state department of agriculture online, i believe. at least you can here.

7. greyhorsewoman

greyhorsewoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Endless Mts, NE PA
    This is interesting, as my daughter has been working Saturdays at a Farmers' Market in Washington DC. They get a lot of stuff from some Amish farms in PA, including eggs, heavy cream and raw milk. I asked her if there were any special requirements for selling the PA produce over a state line and she said .... if there is, that particular item is marked 'pet food only.' Now, everybody BUYS the stuff for more than pet food, but because he labels it as such, gets past regulation.

Not sure I agree with this, and was surprised how 'commonplace' my daughter said is was at the 'green' city markets.

8. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    I see that as civil disobedience. [​IMG]

9. SullyCarter

SullyCarter Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2008
    Pacific Palisades, CA
    if you will occasionally sell a few, thats fine. but if your planning on selling to markets, etc. you defiantly need one. check out the USDA site.

10. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    thanks everyone...i probably wont have many left over to sell anyway..in between my house, mother, brothers house, uncles house, and bribing my neighbors...[​IMG]....heck, now that i think about it...I'LL be lucky if I get an egg!....lol...thanks, Wendy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by