1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do you need a permit to shoot and kill a red fox and a ground hog?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by JSF 6494, Apr 10, 2017.

1. JSF 6494

JSF 6494 Just Hatched

Feb 3, 2017
    Lately I've been having issues with a ground hog and a fox that live near my coop. I've tried things to keep them away, such as shutting the chickens up earlier and letting them out later but they've just been coming earlier. So far they've killed seven chickens and four ducks. I actually never thought a ground hog would get them until I saw him out there trying to get in the pen. I don't want to have to shoot them, but I don't see any other way. Would I need to get a permit to shoot them? I don't know anything about permits and I tried researching but I can't find any direct answers so I'm hoping someone here could help me.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    No way to know unless we know what state you are in. Wildlife regulations vary dramatically from state to state.
    You can call your state Dept. of Conservation or go to their website. It will have seasons on all animals. In most of the country, groundhogs aren't closely regulated.
    Foxes are considered furbearers and have special regulations but in most states, one is allowed to protect livestock.
    That doesn't apply to birds of prey.

Groundhogs are primarily herbivores and may eat snails, grubs and insects but I can't imagine one would kill chickens.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  3. JSF 6494

JSF 6494 Just Hatched

Feb 3, 2017
    I live in Pennsylvania. What would be the website? Thanks

4. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Google it or call your local game warden.

5. Howard E

Howard E Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2016
    Missouri
    If I'm watching a predator attacking my birds, and I have the ability to stop it, I go into the mode where I figure it's easier to get forgiveness than permission. But even if you did shoot those guys, there are more just like them to take their place. What you want is an electric fence to keep your predators at a safe distance away from the birds.

The groundhog is not your culprit.......more like an unwitting accomplice. He dug the hole that let the others in. The groundhog was probably looking at building a den under the coop.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  6. eggbert420

eggbert420 Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    Don't ask don't tell. Just do it

7. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Such good advice.
    It amazes me how many times I hear the word it when referring to a predator. As though there was only one. They say, we had a fox problem but we took care of it. Or we had a raccoon attack, but we trapped it. They aren't loners. They have brothers, sisters, moms, dads, aunts, uncles, cousins, sons, daughters - and a plethora of other unrelated animals lurking in the same area.

I agree, but hopefully the person that just does it, picks the actual culprit rather than any animal that happens to be in the location at the time the damage is discovered.

8. eggbert420

eggbert420 Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    Kill them all, and let god sort them out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by