Do you need more than one of each breed?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by AMA Chick, Apr 11, 2012.

1. AMA Chick

AMA Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2012
    Glasgow KY
    Please forgive me if this is a really stupid question:rolleyes:

Do hens do ok if they are the only one of their breed? Or do they prefer to have another of their kind as a friend?

I'm planning a small flock, I've never had chickens and am just starting to learn about them. There are several breeds/types I'd like to try and I'm just wondering if I should get the hens in pairs? I'm not planning to get roosters at this time. I don't even have a coop yet!

Thanks for your help!

P.s. I REALLY want blue and green eggs, my friend/neighbor wants white eggs, so what are our best options?

2. Fluffballs

Fluffballs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2012
    With my chickies!
    No, I don't think they need another of their same breed. The main blue/green layers are EE'rs, Ameraucanas, and Araucanas. White layers: Leghorn,... polish is the only other I can think of right now... Hope that helped!

3. AMA Chick

Apr 10, 2012
    Glasgow KY
    Thank you!

4. RedDrgn

RedDrgn Anachronistic Anomaly

May 11, 2011
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Take a look at my sig (no two alike!) and they get along great, so feel free to mix and match as you please! [​IMG]

5. suzeqf

suzeqf Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    I have several hens that I only have one of and several that I have 3 or 4 of. My ameraucana lays a pretty blue egg, EE's can lay blue eggs, Araucana's lay blue eggs, Cochins lay white eggs

6. AMA Chick

Apr 10, 2012
    Glasgow KY
    Thanks for the replies!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by