DO YOU NEED TO CLIP YOUR HENS NAILS?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Fawn and Fam, Oct 19, 2013.

1. Fawn and Fam

Fawn and Fam Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2013
    I only have 2 pet Easter Egger hens. I have never clipped their nails, they're almost 7 months old. I never heard I was supposed to clip chickens nails until I accidently ran across a post of someone's. What am I supposed to be doing and when?

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Most chickens do not need their nails clipped because they wear them down enough scratching around in the dirt. If they are kept where they can not scratch (ie on wire), or what they live in is soft (ie really deep litter), they may need clipped. Some birds may need clipped if they have a crooked toe or foot or something like that where the nail(s) will not wear down naturally.

3. Fawn and Fam

Apr 2, 2013
    So if they have a dirt run they should be fine?

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    They should be fine, probably never need trimmed. Nails are just one more thing to check whenever you look them over for parasites etc.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I've never trimmed a bird's nails in 20 years. I keep my birds on dirt and they scratch around a lot. Just keep an eye on them, one can still get a funky nail that might need to be trimmed, but it's not a normal maintenance thing you need to do.

6. Fawn and Fam

Apr 2, 2013
    I'll probably do deep liter for the winter. Since I live in Michigan their run will be all snow. When their isn't snow it will probably be more like mud. Do you think I may need to trim them in the spring or will they just wear them back down to where they are supposed to be when they have access to dirt again?

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'm in the PNW and my run is mud probably half the year. Never had long nails. Just keep an eye on them and see how they do.

8. Fawn and Fam

Apr 2, 2013
    Thank you both for your replies [​IMG]

9. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    Also depends on breeds. My silkie being five toed has one on each foot that doesn't touch the ground and so doesnt get normal wear a d tear. That nail is getting more and more like a candidate for clipping. I suspect if it continues on its current course it will do a big circle and start poking into her leg.
    So keep more of an eye if you have any five toe breeds.

10. khouse6

khouse6 New Egg

Jan 15, 2017
    i have a bantam, just acquired her, her nails need trimming. i have trimmed this past week. how long do you reckon, that i need to wait until next trimming?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by