Do you NEED to have a rooster in your flock?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by guesswhokatysue, Aug 13, 2013.

1. guesswhokatysue

guesswhokatysue Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2013
    Maine
    My dad and I were discussing how best to go about the chickens, and I was telling him all of my coop plans, when he stopped me and said "well the rooster will be some protection for the hens" to which I replied "what rooster?!". He then went on to explain (which I am not sure how accurate he is) that without the boy, the girls wont want to lay (I feel like there is more to that story). So before my fiance and I invest in our flock and don't include a boy when we need one, I thought I might ask you.

Also, if we do or should have a rooster, which rooster breeds are...usually less vicious? I have a big dog, so I am used to bruises from pets (innocent bruises, but bruises no less), but I also don't want to get a rooster that is prone to being mean. I haven't heard horror stories, but I hear that they do exist, and I do NOT want to have one of those to share haha.

Thanks! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    You do not need a rooster for your hens to lay but without one, a hen could crow, trying to act like a rooster. Roosters are great flock keepers that can keep your hens safe an provide hatching eggs if you want them. There are so many gorgeous rooster breeds that a tame, some are very little and others are huge. Some nice docile breeds are Brahmas, Cochins, Wyandottes and Jersey Giants.

1 person likes this.
  3. guesswhokatysue

Aug 11, 2013
    Maine
    Thank you for the feedback! I was pretty certain that I did NOT need one for them to lay, but occasionally my dad says these crazy things and he can be right. I am glad that I do not NEED one, but also glad that there are options out there that will be fairly tame.

Here's probably the dumbest question you will ever see on here, but I might as well make sure I understand completely how this works: having a rooster with the hens could result in fertilized eggs, but if the eggs are picked up and put in a refrigerator they would still be good eggs correct?

1 person likes this.
  4. Schrebergaertner

Schrebergaertner Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2010
    Correct. A fertilized egg will not develop if refrigerated. Indistinguishable from a non-fertilized one, unless you have really good eyes and know what you're looking for.

1 person likes this.
  5. guesswhokatysue

Aug 11, 2013
    Maine
    That makes me feel better about that, then. Thank you! I don't think I am ready to even consider the possibility of letting the eggs actually hatch yet, but I suppose having a rooster around would be convenient for the time that I change my mind haha

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by