1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do you "noodle" ...I do!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Aneesa's Muse, Jan 21, 2009.

1. Aneesa's Muse

Aneesa's Muse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    "Noodling" was one of the favored past times, as a kid growing up in a very rural area, so when I have a chance ...I still do it! [​IMG] Only difference is ..I'm in the city, so the good holes are limited ..I don't need a .22 nearby ...and I don't really have to be too askeered that I could lose a necessary extremity [​IMG]

While supposedly doing yardwork this morning.. [​IMG] ..I "noodled" the drain pipe ...cuz I just can't resist it [​IMG] ...really! (I'll have a creepy crawler in my pocket when I take my last breath, I think)

Anyhoo.. it's really HUGE ..so be prepared...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's a Batrachoseps attenuatus, or California Slender Salamander, I'm pretty sure... just a hatchling. I've found adults before ..this one doesn't have the really long tail yet. It is approximately 1.25" STL ...told ya it was HUGE!

2. GaDawg

GaDawg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    North GA
    I thought "Noodling" was just another way to go fishing...lol

3. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Uh, what exactly is "noodling"? [​IMG]

4. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Noodling for us was a string and trying to catch crawdads. What is it for you?

5. Justino

Justino ♪♫ Rockin' Rooster ♪♫

Dec 21, 2007
    KY
    lol we just called that crawdad fishing [​IMG]

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Noodling around here is when you wade in the river, find a "hole" in the bank, reach your arm in up to your shoulder and hope the only thing that latches onto it is a big catfish and not muskrat!!

7. GaDawg

GaDawg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    North GA
    yep that's what it is around here Katy

[​IMG]

wouldn't do it for a million bucks

Last edited: Jan 21, 2009
  8. coloradochick

coloradochick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    "Latches on to it" - YIKES!!! [​IMG] I guess if I was back at 10 years old and my pals said hey let's go noodling I probably would be the first to do it. But sitting here at 43 imagining something "latching" on to my hand or arm scares the bajeebs outa me. [​IMG]

So what would you do it a muskrat happened to be the latcher and not the catfish?

9. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Actually it's not something I'd want a 10 year old doing....the fish...if you're lucky....might outweigh the kid!!

10. Aneesa's Muse

Aneesa's Muse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    Awww.. don't be askeered.. [​IMG]

We "noodled" in the creeks and bogs around our property in GA.. for Snappers and such ..Catfish too, I guess.. but they don't pose a threat to your fingers, hand, arm ..if they get hold to ya.. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by