Do you notice that some of your chickens like foods that others don't?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Delmar, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Delmar

Delmar Chillin' With My Peeps

We got a bunch of free apples this fall. Some of my birds will eat them, but not until they are pretty hungry. We got three more chickens a few weeks ago that are not big enough to go into general population yet, and I have discovered that they absolutely devour apples. From what I can tell These three birds like apples more than any thing else I have fed them.

I'd like to hear your stories.

2. dweder

dweder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Glen Ellyn, Illinois
    I attempted to feed mine apples this late fall. We have an apple orchard with an cider press. They seemed to like the pulp from the press better than the apples before hand. Not sure that it is a normal favorite for many......I have 2 hens that will eat them, the rest seem too picky.

3. gumbii

gumbii Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2010
    bell gardens, ca
    i feed all my roosters this custom gamecock mix my local feedstore gets...

i have one pen where they will eat EVERYTHING!!!... but i noticed the others they always leave something out... one leaves the boss, others leave orange lentils, other leaves almost everything... only eat the boss and cracked corn... but i leave the food in there because i want them to finish it all... LOL...

same goes for treats... i have a pair that don't eat tortillas... all of my other chickens LOVE tortillas... LOL...

4. Darlasmum

Darlasmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2009
    La Crescenta, CA
    I have a BO that loves banannas- the others wont touch 'em!

5. Patricia Jane

Patricia Jane Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2010
    Petaluma CA
    Mine love apples. I dice them up and add to oatmeal for a warm treat on cold mornings.

6. CathyM

CathyM Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    My barred rocks just adore brocolli, but the NH reds are indifferent. Some of the hens liked the boysenberries when I tossed them into the pen this summer, and some ignored them... and the barred rocks eat only some of the things in the Purina scratch feed! I definitely notice differences![​IMG]

7. Delmar

Delmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:So their food preferences seem to follow the breed? I was wondering about that. The birds I have that love the apples are all part Easter eggers.

8. chicknduck

chicknduck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2010
    Ohio
    Mine seem to ike everything once one has something everyone else wants it. lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by