Do you paint or linoleum your roosts?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by kathyinmo, Jun 11, 2009.

1. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Do you paint of linoleum your roosts?

2. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    No. I use pressure treated wood. Paint is possible, I wouldn't use linoleum though, as it's slick. If at all possible, just get pressure treated 2x4 and put it with the 4" side up

3. SarahFair

SarahFair Songster

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    neverrrrmind [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 11, 2009
  4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Pressure treated wood is not a good idea for roosts -- there is absolutely no reason whatsoever to use it, and it is not so great for chickens to be standing barefoot on p/t stuff for half their lives.

Vinyl would be too slippery.

Paint would be ok but get scratched off fairly soon so really why bother. A well-sanded surface does not catch particularly intransigent poo IME. If you are really concerned, give it a coat of mineral oil or linseed oil or something like that, to seal the pores.

GOod luck, have fun,

Pat

5. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    GO out and find some stout tree branches which you can fit your thumb and first finger around. Make roosts from those.

No paint, no vinyl, no linoleum, no money spent on 2 x 4's.

6. SC_Hugh

SC_Hugh Songster

May 23, 2009
    Santa Cruz, CA
    I just built my roost out of 2"x2" and I plan to change it out to 2"x4" when my birds get bigger. No paint, just kiln dried lumber.

[​IMG]

7. ParrotsNPullets

ParrotsNPullets Songster

Jun 8, 2009
    Upstate New York
    Yeah I would agree about the Pressure Treated... there are all sorts of horrible chemicals including a lot of arsenic used in the curing process of PT wood. I had actually considered using it on the inside of my coop as well before my husband reminded me about the chemicals.

I was unsure about whether or not I should paint my 2x4 pine roosts... this thread helped me decide, thanks. [​IMG]

8. BigBen

BigBen Songster

Dec 29, 2008
    Smithfield,RI
    I grabbed a 100 year old 4x4 from a barn that fell down near my hunting camp.
    I am going to run a power plainer over it this weekend.
    I always loved that barn, there wasn't one nut or bolt holding any of it together.
    It was all hand cut with joints that have special names that I don't know.
    they drilled holes and then banged in wooden dowels.
    To bad it fell down, but now I feel like I have a piece of history in my coop.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 11, 2009
    1 person likes this.
  9. sillybirds

sillybirds Songster

Aug 5, 2008
    California
    Quote:Neither. I used scrap pieces of composite wood (like Trex, but different brand) placed over vertically oriented 2 X 4's for support. I thought it would wear better and be easier to clean.

[​IMG]

10. briteday

briteday Songster

Dec 16, 2008
    Northern NV
    sillybird...where did you find those big trays for droppings??? Awesome!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: