do you prefer purebreds or mutts?

technodoll

Songster
10 Years
Aug 25, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Would you rather have a coop full of pure chickens, mutts or a mix of both?

(by mutts, I mean a cross of two purebreds)

I'm partial to both... curious to see what crossing certain breeds together will produce as offspring (both looks and egg-laying qualities), I start my first incubation in a few days and most eggs in the 'bator are "on purpose" crosses.

However I do love the look and predictability of purebreds so I want both in my flock!

You?

D.gif

Happy Chooks

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Jul 9, 2009
Northern CA
My Coop
My Coop
Both. I like the purebreds, but I too am interested in what the crosses will create. I want to work on some olive eggers and I'm going to make some black sex links for my oldest son. And I find myself wondering what the offspring of my welsummer roo and my light brahma would look like.

fowltemptress

Frugal Fan Club President
12 Years
Jan 20, 2008
I've gotten to the point where I don't care, I just want as many different colors as possible.

I suppose I do prefer being able to give a clear answer when someone asks what kind a particular chicken is. Even with crummy hatchery birds, it sounds more impressive to people who aren't that into chickens when you tell them something like, "Well, that's a Brahma, an Asiatic breed originating from the Brahmaputra district of India . . . yada yada yada. " You can't really do that with mutts.

technodoll

Songster
10 Years
Aug 25, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Quote:
Hah, just watch me go in a few months:

"That's a Sulkie, originating from my back yard, and that's an Easter Leghorner, and oooooh that one over there is a Silcochin..."
lol.png

usschicago1

Suburban Cochins
10 Years
Aug 11, 2009
Taunton, MA
Purebreds never mixed. I like all cochins and lighter breeds. Mostly White. Someday I wasnt all white chicjens, Leghorns langshans cochins javas rocks japenese ext all white :)

Kansaseq

Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum
10 Years
Feb 12, 2009
NE Kansas
Both. I love varitey
smile.png

I just hatched out some beautiful blue Easter Egger x Blue Orpington babies. Should grow up to be big, beautiful birds. Curious to see what color eggs they lay, and how many.
22798_blue_ee_chicks_1.jpg

Last edited:

Davaroo

Poultry Crank
12 Years
Feb 4, 2007
Leesville, SC
do you prefer purebreds or mutts?

Personally, I favor well-breds regardless of their lineage. Given a choice thereafter, Ill take purebreds any day.

Last edited:

jeslewmazer

Songster
Nov 24, 2009
Mississippi
I like to have both. There are many pros and cons to both. I like the pure breeds for what they are breed for, but definitely the predictability. I don't show but like to have pure breeds with at least average quality. The crosses (mixes, mutts, or whatever you want to call them) I like most for variations(like color), unpredictability, egg laying, hardiness, and things of that nature. Congrats to all those that have the room to house many different pure breeds. I on the other hand can only house a few, this is where the crosses come in to keep my want to a minimum and allows me to have a variety. Because if I could have as many pure breeds as I would like I would have to have a chicken ranch.
lol.png
And I don't see that ever happening. But if I did I would still have a Mixed coop.

MANNA-PRO

Top Bottom