Do you Quarantine chicks like you do adult birds???

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by SportTees, Apr 30, 2009.

1. SportTees

SportTees Chillin' With My Peeps

I know when you get adult birds you quarantine them from your current flock. Do you also do that with bought day old or even week old chicks?? It doesn't seem like it would be as big a deal since they haven't been outside the brooder. Thanks

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    There is always a risk, but if you are buying froma major hatchery, I think the risk is very low. They really have to keep on top of diseases to stay in business. If you are buying from a small independent, the risk goes up because they cannot afford the testing the big boys can and our biosecurity is nothing like the big commercial operations. How many of us shower in-shower out any visitors or ourselves or disinfect the tires of any vehicles that come on site. I don't.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

If you get the chicks from anywhere other than a hatchery, yes, I would quarantine them.

4. SportTees

How long would you Quarantine for?

5. briteday

briteday Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Northern NV
    One month

6. Chickfever

Chickfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2007
    Southwest VA
    PLEASE quarantine them even if they come from a hatchery!! Here's my experience: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=76111

I
    didn't add that I had hatched 12 or so turkey poults at the same time. They were with the chicks. All but 3 of those died. When I spoke to the girl I got the hatchery silkies from, she said people had been calling her telling her something was wrong. I told her what I suspected and told her to call the other people and tell them what to do.

I just ASSUMED they would be okay since they came from a hatchery. MAN was that a bad & costly assumption!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 30, 2009
  7. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Quarantine everything that is not from your farm, including hatchery chicks.

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Yes, I do recall some hatchery chicks having issues last year, so I amend my statement about that. Do quarantine everything!

9. SportTees

I would have never guessed hatchery chicks - since they have bio security measures. I put some hatchery chicks in with mine this year already luckily I haven't had any issues with them. I will definitely Quarantine everything for now on thanks everyone

10. Sissy

Sissy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Sevier county, Tn.
    YEs r ree... for one month
    better to be safe then sorry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by