Do You Quarantine?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by PepsNick, Feb 21, 2011.

1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Sometimes

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    I was wondering who quarantines, and who doesn't. I've read that some people who breed for resistance don't. Do you, or not?

If not, than why?

I am just wondering. I am not looking into breeding or anything like that, I am in the city.

Thank you.

2. Chickengal505

Chickengal505 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Bolivia N.C
    oh well I'm the only voter but I dont quarentene because when I get a new addition their always chicks, if I were to get an adult I prob. would

3. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    I quarantined both chicks and pullets that I have added to my flock.. I got the chicks at 4 weeks old and they were kept away from the flock until they were 16 weeks........a little for size and a little for quarantine. The pullets were 14 weeeks old and I kept them away from the flock for 6 weeks.. I would be so upset if I introduced something into my flock.. I love the girls I have, so, I will always quarantine.. well worth the extra effort. IMHO

4. clairabean

clairabean Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Kootenays of BC!
    No. I have a small flock- 14 birds. If I get new birds I know the farm they come from and only accept healthy birds from healthy flocks.

That said, IF there was a problem, I only have 14 birds.[​IMG]

5. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    I didn't when I first started, which is odd since I DO quarrantine my snakes for 3 months when I buy new ones.
    After the first 2 'installments' I have started separating them for at least 3 wks, then introduce them by putting them in a smaller pen next to the bigger temp pen that houses the rest of the birds.

6. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I added a roo to my flock from a freinds stock & no I didn't quarantine.

7. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    I never have & have never had a bad outcome. That said, I have always known the people I acquired birds from & have been confident that the birdswere healthy.

8. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    I always quarantine, is it foolproof? no but it does help. Some diseases are Ok as your birds will build immunity to them especially the common ones,you cannot avoid them.

9. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    I do and here is 3 links to why you should even though you have only a few birds or only get from healthy stock

Purplechicken`s MG nightmare
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=196261

Southernbelle
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=181490

Wolf Queen's Saga:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=211485

ALL of these are experienced chicken owners and even they had issues!

If you do not quarantine.. you should help protect others and maintain a closed flock

10. KC n KY

KC n KY Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grayson, KY
    I had never even heard about quarantine until like a month ago. I have succesfully introduced like 10 different chickens at different times without hazard. That said, All of those birds I knew were healthy. If I were to get a new hen right now, I probably would quarentine, just because I feel this is being a more responsible chicken owner.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by