Do YOU Raise Mealworms?!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by PineBurrowPeeps, Sep 10, 2009.

1. [​IMG]

If you raise mealworms, PLEASE be aware of the Grain Mite, a teeny tiny whitish mite that can come into your mealworm colony via oats, wheat, chicken grain, and so on and so forth... EACH female mite can lay 800 eggs per day that can survive dormant for up to a year without hatching. There is NO cure for these mites, the only way to get rid of them is to destory the colony and start over.

I have a colony that went from being mite free to infested to the point that it looks like there is sawdust all over my worm bins, worms, etc. in less than a week.
    I now have to destroy my colony, who had just produced it's first bacth of baby wormies [​IMG]
    I am so sad.

Some people say you can avoid getting them by microwaving your grains/worm substrate BEFORE giving it to them as it will kill any eggs or larva of the grain mite.

I am the most impatient person in the world and I actually stuck it out and raised these guys that I had bought and then had sent to me by RedHen so kindly, I took really good care of them and kept them clean and everything but now that they start producing and I'm all excited, I have to freeze them or burn them or something and start all over [​IMG]

Apparently the mites need moisture so keeping veggies in the substrate can feed the mites and cause them to hatch.

2. seismic wonder2

seismic wonder2 I got mad ninja skills

Feb 3, 2007
    san diego ca
    Been there, done that.
    I at least got through two generations before I got them. I had no idea what they were and in a few days the surface just crawled with them.
    Had to pitch the whole lot.
    THen I couldn't find any at the pet store, they said something killed off the supplyer. I figured they got the same thing.

Good luck starting over.

3. I realize they're just bugs, but man oh man, I am seriously ADD so for me to nuture something that needs patience as much as mealies that take FOREVER to get from stage to stage is just really cruddy...
    I've had a bad week (kids driving me crazy, lost one of my Jr. rabbits that was VERY promising, etc.) and this is just the straw that broke it, I want to climb into bed and pull the covers over my head!

4. seismic wonder2

seismic wonder2 I got mad ninja skills

Feb 3, 2007
    san diego ca
    It would be the same as if I planted 100 acres of corn and just before harvest a tornado ripped them all up.

5. yep

6. 19Dawn76

19Dawn76 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Toadsuck, AR
    I am sorry Jenna!![​IMG]

7. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Yep that happened to me. I noticed "dust" that moved, and it was coming OUT of my mealworm box. HO boy! I'm just buying mealworms from now on.

I threw out my meal worms, plastic bin and all. As for the "moving dust" ant spray seemed to do the grain mites in. As they say, "kills bugs dead" just can't get any deader than dead.

8. lotzahenz

lotzahenz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Jenna, Thanks for the heads up. I am just now getting adults from my bought mealies. I haven't had great luck, lots of them have dried up. I'll keep a close watch on them for these mites. I hope you are feeling better. I know what you mean, ADD. It is hard. HUGS, HenZ [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
  9. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Jenna! What happennd? was it from my worms i sent you? I dont have any mites...i dont know about shelley or maple though...

Now ya got me freaked out... [​IMG] *runs off to double/triple check for mites*

Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
  10. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I don't have any mites, but I also don't have any baby wormies [​IMG] Just big ones, medium ones (that were probably babies when I got them), and bugs....lots and lots of bugs! I don't know if they got hot in shipping, and it killed any eggs that were in there or what, but I have no babies. So my buttons are on mealworm restriction until my bugs start getting busy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by