Do you really have to wait 8 months to a year to sex a Silkie?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chicken_china_mom, May 7, 2009.

1. chicken_china_mom

chicken_china_mom Crazy for Cochins

Apr 24, 2009
    Tab, Indiana
    Here is one of my 4 Silkies. They are all sweet as can be, but this one is a character. My daughter left a hair tie on the desk and she found it and was having a blast throwing it up in the air and tossing it around. She's sweet, friendly, and I am wondering if in fact Heidi is a pullet, or maybe I have yet another roo on my hands. I am up to my ears in roosters already. I'd like it I had a few more pullets! If anyone can tell me from these pictures, let me know. Thanks!

[​IMG]

In this picture Heidi is in the back:
    [​IMG]

If anyone needs to see more pics, just let me know and I'll go take them. I might not be able to post til Sunday as that's my next day off. I think I might put all 4 of my Silkies together and see if anyone can tell what sex any of them might be. Some are fluffier than others, if that makes a difference at 4 1/2 weeks old, but Heidi has that funny little mohawk that the other don't have. All are getting fluffier each day. I love them all, they really are very soft. I'm glad I chose this breed. [​IMG]

2. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    can you get better comb shots?

I can usally tell by 4 to 6 weeks with my own...However I have had some I had pegged as a boy or girl and turn out as somthing eles..LOL So far on my guessing on my own I have had 75% being right on my guess by comb shape and size.

3. bremat

bremat Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2009
    KY
    I am not sure, but he or she sure is gorgeous to be so young! I used to have Silkies and have been wanting some more for a LONG time, finally found some babies about 40 miles away. I told my DH that is what I want for Mother's day. A lot of Mom's want diamonds, not me, just give me some silkies and I will be so happy! I cannot wait!

4. bremat

bremat Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2009
    KY
    BTW, my husband thinks your sweetie is a pullet. I think I am leaning that way, too.

Last edited: May 8, 2009
  5. noitulover

noitulover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    Central Virginia
    whichever it is, he/she's gorgeous!

6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Way too young to tell. The better the quality, the longer it usually takes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by