Do you refrigerate the eggs you collect?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickB26, Sep 14, 2016.

1. chickB26

chickB26 Just Hatched

Aug 16, 2016
    NE Ohio
    I'm reading conflicting reports. One thing they agree on is if you refrigerate don't then leave them out on the counter. Your input?

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    I don't refrigerate or wash my eggs. If you wash your eggs, they must be refrigerated. Reason being, once you remove the protective bloom on an egg, it is susceptible to bacteria.
    If you refrigerate unwashed eggs, you must keep them refrigerated. The condensation on the eggs coming to room temp will also remove the bloom.

1 person likes this.
  3. sparker96

sparker96 New Egg

Aug 18, 2016
    How long can they hang out at room temperature?

4. mamatink7

mamatink7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2016
    Ohio
    once you refrigerate the fresh eggs, you can't just leave them out on the counter. It starts sweating and releases the natural protection of the egg.

5. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    About two weeks.

6. mamatink7

mamatink7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2016
    Ohio
    I've read several weeks to several months. You can dip into mineral oil and they'll last 9-12 months in cool, dark space (cellar, basement, cooler closet)!
    You can always do the float test before using the eggs for any question. If the egg sinks to bottom, very fresh. If the egg floats to the top, old.
    Once you wash, you use.
    (Mind you, I've got 2 1/2 dozen. Fresh eggs on counter right now & will use them this weekend. They are the first eggs our pullets have laid)

Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
  7. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    I keep mine on the counter for about two weeks, then refrigerate them. Some may or may not have been left out longer than that... [​IMG]

8. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

I only wipe off the poop if any and I do put all my eggs in the fridge..I sell my eggs, so make sure they are kept cool..I also date each egg with a pencil so my customers get what they are buying...I have a little bar fridge just for all my eggs...

Just what I do...

9. mclanea

mclanea Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2016
    San Diego
    Good info!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by