Do you refrigerate your eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sunkistfarm, Oct 24, 2011.

1. sunkistfarm

sunkistfarm Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2010
    I remember reading somewhere that you don't have to refrigerate fresh eggs and that they can be kept on the counter.
    Does anyone keep them on the counter and how long do you allow them to set out? Do they need refrigeration?
    My relatives (in their 70's) grew up with chickens and say they have never heard of leaving them out.

2. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    they can be left out for several weeks...other countries don't cold store theirs...

I do, only because I sell them, and my customers seem to care...

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    If you really want info on egg storage, Mother Earth news did an extensive study a few years back. Easy to find with Google. They keep quite a while at room temp.

4. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    I sometimes leave a few out on the counter occasionaly for a few day's, but we do store them for them most part in the fridge, mainly out of habit I guess and the fact that my wife can sometimes be an egg-a-phobe about leaving them out too long, and we do give eggs away frequently to friends and nieghbors. Just think that leaving them without refridgeration is what they did back in the day's before cold storage was widely used.

5. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
  6. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I refridgerate the eggs if there is enough room. I have 25 new pullets that should start laying the next couple months. Once they start i'll put the eggs in the back room which stays cool.

7. carolinagirl58

carolinagirl58 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Lugoff, SC
    I refrigerate the ones I intend to age (for easier boiling and peeling) but don't refrigerate the ones I am planning on eating within the next week or two. If you don't wash them, they won't spoil for a month or so. And if you do get a bad one, you will know it, so don't worry about accidently getting food poisoning.

Here's a link to the mother earth study. It's very interesting!

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Sustainable-Farming/1977-11-01/Fresh-Eggs.aspx

8. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

I don't refridgerate mine as they are usually sold or eaten before needing long term storage...but I've kept them on my counter for weeks without any change in the quality of freshness or taste. I prefer the taste of counter dwelling eggs over fridge eggs...for some reason I can smell the fridge smells when I cook those eggs and it turns me off.

9. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    We keep ours on the kitchen counter; they're easier to grab.

IF, for some reason, I wash an egg, then it goes into the refrigerator.

[​IMG]

10. Duramaxgirl

Duramaxgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2010
    Idaho
    I gather mine during the day and put them in the fridge at night before I go to bed. I always keep mine in the fridge. I had a costomer that told me she used to live in Japan and over there they just leave them out all the time! I don't think I could ever do that. The hatching eggs I put in the garage its cooler and moist out there.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by