Do you remove your feed each night?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ThinkingChickens, Jul 2, 2011.

1. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    I have an enclosed run which I close at night and soon we'll have a walk in run. However, today I found a dead mouse in the fountain which got me thinking about smaller critters. So, do you remove your chickens food at night for those will small flocks or just leave it out?

2. Harvey'sHens

Harvey'sHens Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2011
    I remove it. I have a 1/2 inch hardware cloth enclosed run and a hanging feeder and no large gaps and I had a serious mouse problem starting. Once I started removing the feeder the mice left.

3. BoltonChicken

BoltonChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Bolton, Mississippi
    I have 1/2" hardware cloth on both coop and run and it would be a really small critter to get into the food at night. I leave it out in the run, and so far nothing has bothered the food.
    Since the chicks probably won't be eating at night, I would go ahead a move it if it makes you feel better.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2011
  4. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Hi ThinkingChickens,

Yes, I also remove the food at night. Usually they have pretty much cleaned it up.

It is exactly because of mice and other night critters that I try to have nothing there overnight. -- My run is that "weldmesh".. It is about 1x3 vinyl coated welded wire, so I know mice could get in.

Way on the other side of the house yesterday morning I saw a big furry thing running by the fence. I think it was acatually a 'Pack Rat'. They kind of remind me of smaller muskrats, and actually build nest piles made of junk... So I know I have critters around here that neither the dogs nor the cat eliminate. I think it was too big to get into the run, but why tempt fate?

PS like your new Avitar. Is that Mabel?

5. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    You've convinced me. It takes two second to remove it so I may as well. I have huge food bins but they are airtight and latched so obviously no problems there. I'll just bring in the food container and keep the mice away. One thing the mountains are good for are drawing in mice, which is turn draw in hawks and other animals. Man, I never knew I'd care this much about chickens! LOL

6. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    I have 1/2" hardware cloth on both coop and run and it would be a really small critter to get into the food at night

A mouse can go through 1/2 Hardware Cloth without hardly slowing down.

There will be enough feed scattered that movng the feeder every day won't make any difference at all other than giving you more excercise​

7. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    i always raise the feeders and waterers in the run up high at night

8. lovinlife

lovinlife Chillin' With My Peeps

I would never go to that much trouble. I'd just lock one or two of my barn cats in the run and let them take care of the mouse problem. My barn cats respect my chickens and wouldn't mess with them. Sure wish they'd take care of the 5' rat snake that likes my chicken eggs. [​IMG]

9. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

I've got a 36 inch tall vintage feeder, I cut a round circle out of the top of a trash can lid that slides down over the top and covers the feeder dish part, in the morning I just remove it. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by