1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do You RENT your property?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by thechickenkeeper, Dec 17, 2008.

1. thechickenkeeper

thechickenkeeper Out Of The Brooder

Nov 9, 2008
    Auckland, New Zealand
    If so well you might want to try asking your landlord for a decrease in rent, due to these hard economic times, I did, and yesterday after 2 weeks of negociation he gave us $1040 (NZD) off the yearly amount, which was $14,000, so just over 5%, well worth asking! Give it a go you never know, I used tools such as, ' there's a simular property, (and gave him the address), going for $65 cheaper per week just up the road, we don't really want to move as we like it here but', and invited him and his wife around to see all of the gardening and painting we have done to the property, they didn't hesitate, deal done in minutes after they saw how well we are looking after their investment. [​IMG]

2. sara

sara Title Needed Here

That's a nice landlord. The only changes in my rent were increases. We own now. [​IMG]

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Good on you!

4. bluebirdfarm

bluebirdfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

very good , you deserve it !!!

5. MichiganWoods

MichiganWoods DD (Artistic Digital Diva)

Oct 6, 2008
    West Michigan
    Awesome! You sound like great tenants, and they sound like good land lords!

P.S. New Zealand!! [​IMG]

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Quote:That is what did it right there. Finding a good renter is often darn near impossible. Especially ones who do more than just maintain, but ADD to the property. Your hard work and investment in time in care is probably darn near priceless to the owners beyond the taxes/mortgage they have to pay from the rent.

Here, in some states, it is in renter/rent laws saying if you "improve" or "replace" things in a rented unit, the landlord must deduct from rent the "fair" amount of the additional worth. Or something of that sort.

Congrats!

7. coloradochick

coloradochick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    Yes, unfortunately. We've been here for 2 years in Feb. We had a year lease that was up last March and haven't signed another one as we've been talking back and forth with him of a rent to own option. My Dh makes the rent every month. Well, I guess our landlord has refinanced the house at least once possible twice withing the 2 years and is now having a hard time making the house payment and has written hardship letters but hasn't heard back yet. And you know how I found this out? I saw the house we're living in posted on Craigslist [​IMG] for $500 more a month than what were paying. He's never came out and said let's do another lease, hey I need to up the rent, etc. So DH called him on it today. Dh asked him when he was going to tell us he had it posted and why? Lndlrd says "I need to get more money from it, and I've written hardship letters, and blah blah..."
    And then he tells DH "There's probably nothing to worry about cuz I haven't gotten any bites from the add anyways?" Says something about getting our name on the house and then asks DH if he can get him any work where DH is working! [​IMG] I would love to get out of here but my oldest is a Sophmore and we want to get her through H.S. before moving.

8. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

We also rent. Our landlord was trying to get $1800 a month and we pay $1200. However since the lease was signed, the foreclosure rate around here has increased so much, they realize they are lucky to get what we pay. She has agreed to leave the rent the same... We feel fortunate.

9. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    We've been renting our little 2 acres of rural heaven for 7 years.

We've been fortunate that the landlady has never upped our rent ($250.00 a month). She allows us to make improvements/fix problems and take any money we spend off the rent but we don't charge for our time involved.

She's been a blessing and let us get behind on rent after our bike accident (Feb.'08), when Skip and I weren't able to work due to injuries. She lets us make up the back rent by adding onto our normal monthly payment with whatever amount we can afford. In turn, if she needs her animals fed, we do so and I've been fixing her fences here and there as I see that they need it. She's more like family to us, than a landlady, in the long run. [​IMG]

Dawn

10. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    [​IMG] good job folks! Nice landlords are hard to come by in these days!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by