do you scrape your droppings board in winter?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by mener6896, Jan 11, 2010.

1. mener6896

mener6896 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    all of the poop on my droppings board has frozen, I really don't think I can get it off! It's like concrete. I know it will build up a ton, but is it okay to wait until spring thaw to clean? Does anyone else have this problem?

I have 34 chickens, so that's a lot of poop!!

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I sprinkle bedding on my dropping boards and it scrapes off easily (I just grab a few handfuls of the finer stuff off the floor). I read about others who sprinkle stall dry on their boards, does the same thing. Someone else said they do cardboard/newspaper and then just throw that out. I'm sure it could wait, but then you're going to have A LOT of buildup to scrape... You might try one of those options first (I'm a clean freak, so leaving it would drive me nuts...lol).

ETA: Oh...and some sprinkle sand on their boards I think...makes scraping easier.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    With just a few chickens I'd say let it stay frozen til we get a thaw-y day, at which point you can clean it easily enough... but with 34 chickens it will get pretty horrible pretty quick and won't all thaw at once. The ideal thing to do would probably be to either chisel the frozen stuff off now, or just remove the droppings board and put in a replacement one (that you toss a handful or three of floor bedding onto every day before roosting time, to prevent the same thing from happening). I suppose another option would be to reove the existing board and reiinstall it upside-down, so that as poo thaws it falls off onto the bedding and can be cleaned; or I *guess* you could lock the chickens out of the coop on a nice day and put a heat lamp over the droppings board to try to get the stuff off that way, although there are obvious safety issues and thus also time-wasted-monitoring-it issues. Personally I'd use a chisel [​IMG]

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

4. mener6896

Apr 21, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    I tried the newspaper thing and it didn't stay down! I hope to figure something out!! Thanks for the ideas!!

5. Joyryder

Joyryder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    Scandia, PA
    I've had the same problem. I guess it's time to get a chisel. Thanks

6. babettenj

babettenj Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2009
    i covered my dropping board with flexible plastic place mats (6) that i purchased for 30 cents each. i clean my coop everyday and can do it in 15 min. if it's cold i simply bring a bucket inside the coop and nearly all of the droppings roll off into the bucket. i wipe the few messy ones with toilet paper. i also shuffle the liter around and pick up the big poops. i tried newspaper on the board first but i'd find it on the floor in the morning. when the placemats get yucky i give them a rince and hang on the fence to dry.

1 person likes this.
  7. mener6896

Apr 21, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    oooo, good idea!! I think I'll get some plastic mats!!

8. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I've seen wehre some BYCers have used cafeteria lunch trays, or other similar items, on their droppings boards. That might be another possibility to consider. Once you get the current stuff off there anyhow [​IMG]

Pat

9. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    I use linoleum over OSB for my 4 removable poop boards and have no trouble whatsoever scraping frozen poop off of them. Fine sand would be really good to coat the surface with. I really like it better frozen than when warmer. [​IMG] Not nearly as disgusting to spread in the garden too. Like raking gravel [​IMG] I am going to change over to galvanized steel, 24 gauge poop boards some time. Far easier than even linoleum to scrape. Am going with same 24" width so as to have none fall on floor.

BTW, I use a stainless steel 8" drywall finishing knife for scraping.

10. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

If you sprinkle some food-grade DE, stall powder such as Stable Boy on the board, even frozen manure will chip away easily with a paint scraper. Though my birds have a conventional roost, they fly to a platform just before dark and sleep on it. I keep it lightly dusted and everything comes away even when it's below freezing. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by