Do You See Charlotte?...and Other Pics from Today

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by speckledhen, Apr 16, 2008.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

While building a set of nests from an old file cabinet, I kept hearing a scritching noise inside what I thought was an empty nursery coop. We're getting ready to move Suede back in there so the up and coming chicks that are in the bator can be raised in Suede's current coop. I went in, saw no hens messing around inside and walked back out. Heard it again. Went back in...and I see this on top of the broody pen. Do you see her? Ignore the mess, we're about to do a spring cleaning/blow-out.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I took updated pics of 19 wk old Zane so you can see if you all think he looks like his wonderful, but sadly departed dad, Hawkeye. He's still scared of the Wyandotte sisters, LOL.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. FrontPorchIndiana

FrontPorchIndiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Indiana
    I never would have spotted her!

If you wouldn't mind, we'd like to honor his daddy by naming this little guy Hawkeye Junior. He hatched late yesterday afternoon.

[​IMG]

3. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Yes, I see her! She is probably wondering why that bag is in her way!!LOL.. Boy, Zane is a handsome roo... I hope he fills his Dad's shoes for you...Dixie

4. Crazy4Chicks

Crazy4Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2007
    Glendale, AZ
    oh that poor hen - she is was telling you to get that bag off her LOL

Zane is a very handsome boy- I hope that one of the two BR's I have is a roo and he looks as handsome as your Zane does.

Julie

5. snowydiamonds

snowydiamonds Chillin' With My Peeps

I disagree about her wanting the bag removed, I watch my hens and geese when they are in their nests moving everything possible to the point of every single stalk of straw onto their backs and over their heads to ensure camoflage and safety of their nests, its natural instinct.[​IMG]

6. speckledhen

Christine, I'd be pleased if you'd honor Hawkeye that way. Just remember to tell his son what a benevolent and wise ruler and father his dad was. It's so empty without him today. I dont know if it will ever feel the same again.

I think Charlotte loved that bag over her, LOL. She kept pulling straw over her back. That was the nest I had all ready for my next broody, too, dang it. Well, it has a nice round crater in it now!

7. HenHaven

HenHaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2007
    Coarsegold, CA
    Cyn, it's genetic! [​IMG] For those of you who don't know...this is NayNay, Charlotte's mother!

[​IMG]

8. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Has she gone broody or was just resting in a nest?

9. speckledhen

Not broody. She was trying to settle down to lay, I guess. I think all the power tools roaring made her nervous and after about 20 minutes, she left.

10. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Cute pic! Charlotte sure found herself a good hiding spot.

Zane sure is handsome too! Maybe after the girls are done morning Hawkeye they will be more reseptive to him!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by