Do you sell/eat your duck eggs?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by fishnet1971, Apr 21, 2011.

1. newbie here, i am wondering what to expect from my two week old Pekins when they grow up. What do you all do with your duck eggs? can they be eaten/sold like my chicken eggs? I am not planning on hatching any and dont want them to go to waste.

2. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    Use them to bake with the cookies and cakes are so good. [​IMG]

3. The Duck ABC's

The Duck ABC's Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    We eat them. They are really good as scrambled eggs. Not so good hard boiled. Way better in baking then chicken eggs. In baking I actually use the same number of duck eggs as you would with chicken eggs. I do bake 5 minutes longer to offset the size difference. Duck eggs make everything baked fluffier and richer. Never going back to baking with chicken eggs.

4. loubapache

loubapache Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Western Michigan
  5. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    Jet, our greyhound, finds Blue's soft eggs in the yard and eats them.
    The others, we eat, use to bake/cook, give away, share with the dogs. I blew out a dozen and shipped them off to my sister to do as she pleased or use them with her day care kids for a craft project.

Pretty much anybody that comes by is asked if they want duck eggs, send the bug guy off with a dozen last week [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 21, 2011
  6. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Chefs and bakers often prefer duck eggs over chicken (better loft, richer flavor). If you can find a few, they will usually gladly pay a premium ($5+) for fresh duck eggs.

Asian markets are another good option.

We love them boiled, scrambled, fried, and used in recipes. Yum!

7. FarmrGirl

FarmrGirl MooseMistress

Jul 1, 2009
    Southern Maryland
    I eat mine, actually prefer them over the chicken eggs. I also sell them at the farmers market. The going rate around here is $3/doz for chicken eggs so I sell my duck eggs for the same price. Folks are often skeptical about eating duck eggs (dunno why) so I take a bunch of hardboiled eggs with me as samples. Once people try them they fly off my farmstand 2 dozen at a time![​IMG]

The trick with cooking duck eggs is not to OVERCOOK them. The extra protein in duck eggs causes them to become rubbery if they're cooked too long. For good hardboiled eggs I bring the eggs and water to a boil them remove from heat and let them set from 12-15 min (depending on how big they are) then cool down fast. Perfect duck eggs every time!

Make sure they have clean drinking water and good feed and your duck eggs will taste delicious! [​IMG]

8. Smiles-N-Sunshine

Smiles-N-Sunshine Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2008
    Palominas, Arizona
    I love duck eggs too! Surprised no one mentioned my favorite: Duck Egg Omelets!!! [​IMG] Well-beaten with a generous amount of milk, cooked on low heat partially covered, shredded cheese added first, then still-hot fillings.... fold it over while moving it to the plate.... BAM! [​IMG]

I also sell eggs at our farmers market, $3/doz for chicken eggs and $4/doz for duck eggs. At the beginning of the season I offer a four-pack sampler of duck eggs for $1, so if a customer doesn't like them, he/she's only out a buck. An information sheet helps - as does bringing in a spokesduck! [​IMG]

Bryan

9. MissusDee

MissusDee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2011
    Duck egg eater here! I do hard boil them for egg salad, and scrambled. Otherwise, they are tops in baking.

10. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    I make a lot of quiche with our ducks' eggs. They're so rich I don't need to add extra milk or cream.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by