Do you sell eggs to your friends & neighbors - or give away?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by vermontgal, Mar 13, 2009.

1. vermontgal

vermontgal Chillin' With My Peeps

I feel weird about asking my friends & neighbors to buy eggs. I would rather swap them for something, or just spread the eggs around to various friends -- a half-dozen here, a half-dozen there...

Some friends have offered to buy them. But that feels weird.
    At the same time, feed isn't cheap, especially since I feed organic.

How do you approach it?

With 4 chickens, I was getting a little more than 2 dz eggs a week. Since one of my chickens died unexpectedly this week [​IMG] , I'll be around 18-20 eggs a week.

2. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    Put up a Fresh Egg sign and put your price on it. Most friends and neighbors will " get it ".

If not......barter.

3. CityClucks

CityClucks The Center of a 50 Mile Radius

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    I suggest you say "thanks, that sounds great" to your friends who have offered to buy your eggs. They know you are raising the birds at your expense, so it's a good deal all around. I did (and will) give eggs to family, and I will sell to friends who currently buy the "non-caged" eggs from WalMart but have asked if they can buy from me when my clucks start laying.

Trading is a good option, too - but be careful about giving eggs away to neighbors and friends for free - some have found that this backfires and they have been asked or expected to provide eggs for free above their means or willingness to do so.

4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I give them away, about a dozen a week. They sometimes give me food or save cartons for me. They usually tell me they feel guilty for not paying.
    Imp

5. Ms~Silkie~Girl

Ms~Silkie~Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    New York STATE
    IM going to do the same thing! I am going to put up a sign that says "farm fresh eggs- $2.75" Or something like that. I'm sure your friends and neighbors will behappy to buy farm fresh eggs from you!

6. wolfie

wolfie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    Fort Worth
    I offer eggs to family members but they usually don't accept them any way they think its wierd that I eat eggs from a chicken [​IMG] but I sell them to nieghbors and friends who think they are better for you. [​IMG]

7. mtnhomechick

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    Quote:I reiterate...be careful. I have one neighbor who has come to expect them. She knows I sell them to everyone else. Don't get THAT started!

8. eaganchickens

eaganchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2008
    Eagan,MN
    I sell my eggs for $2.00 a dozen.

9. mtnhomechick

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    Quote:Me too.

10. Sierra pachie bars

Sierra pachie bars Queen of the Lost

Nov 8, 2008
    What my family did was they wanted fresh organic eggs. Since I have grown up raising animals all my life they asked if they paid for the chickens , feed etc and they get eggs. All the family members that want eggs went in and divided up the cost of the coop, chickens etc.
    When I do have extra eggs I give them away to teachers and neighbors.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by