Do you sell eggs to your friends & neighbors - or give away?

vermontgal

Songster
11 Years
Mar 24, 2008
Salt Lake City / Sugarhood
I feel weird about asking my friends & neighbors to buy eggs. I would rather swap them for something, or just spread the eggs around to various friends -- a half-dozen here, a half-dozen there...

Some friends have offered to buy them. But that feels weird.
At the same time, feed isn't cheap, especially since I feed organic.

How do you approach it?

With 4 chickens, I was getting a little more than 2 dz eggs a week. Since one of my chickens died unexpectedly this week
, I'll be around 18-20 eggs a week.

CityClucks

The Center of a 50 Mile Radius
10 Years
Jan 31, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I suggest you say "thanks, that sounds great" to your friends who have offered to buy your eggs. They know you are raising the birds at your expense, so it's a good deal all around. I did (and will) give eggs to family, and I will sell to friends who currently buy the "non-caged" eggs from WalMart but have asked if they can buy from me when my clucks start laying.

Trading is a good option, too - but be careful about giving eggs away to neighbors and friends for free - some have found that this backfires and they have been asked or expected to provide eggs for free above their means or willingness to do so.

Imp

All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle
11 Years
Sep 7, 2008
The Emerald City
My Coop
I give them away, about a dozen a week. They sometimes give me food or save cartons for me. They usually tell me they feel guilty for not paying.
Imp

Ms~Silkie~Girl

Songster
10 Years
Feb 7, 2009
New York STATE
IM going to do the same thing! I am going to put up a sign that says "farm fresh eggs- $2.75" Or something like that. I'm sure your friends and neighbors will behappy to buy farm fresh eggs from you!

wolfie

Songster
10 Years
Mar 2, 2009
Fort Worth
I offer eggs to family members but they usually don't accept them any way they think its wierd that I eat eggs from a chicken
but I sell them to nieghbors and friends who think they are better for you.

Sierra pachie bars

Queen of the Lost
11 Years
Nov 8, 2008
What my family did was they wanted fresh organic eggs. Since I have grown up raising animals all my life they asked if they paid for the chickens , feed etc and they get eggs. All the family members that want eggs went in and divided up the cost of the coop, chickens etc.
When I do have extra eggs I give them away to teachers and neighbors.

Top Bottom