Do You Sell Your Eggs By the Roadside????

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by rapunzil, May 27, 2010.

1. rapunzil

rapunzil Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2009
    Kendall Park, NJ
    I plan on selling my extra eggs by the roadside, but looking for ideas on how to best do so. I was planning on doing the honor method, and wondering if anyone here does so and what was their experience? How did you collect the money? How did you keep the money safe?

Also, I figured I would have to put the eggs in a cooler on the ground next to the road, but don't think that will look very appealing. Any ideas of a stand or something else to put the eggs in/on? I want it to look country-like, but not trashy if you know what I mean.

Thanx all!

2. bockbock2008

bockbock2008 Why do they call me crazy??

Dec 30, 2008
    Southwest Indiana
    People around here do that with their extra veggies and I was thinking of doing it with eggs too. I think it depends on where you are and what your neighbors are like on wheather or not this will work. Where I live, it works but there are some places in my town where your eggs would be gone and the money box would be empty within minutes!! I would say to put no more than a few dozen out at a time so if some dishonest person does come along, they don't clean you out. Money box...If you can get a wooden box with a hinged lid so you could padlock it, you could bolt it to something larger, say a picnic table or something to keep it from walking off. Hope this helps??

3. PriceFamilyFarms

PriceFamilyFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Henderson, NC
    post them on craigslist!! in the farm and garden section!

Also, you might want to check your local regulations, here in NC they have the "Egg Law" which means you can sell LESS than 30 dozen a week and not need a license...more than 30 and you have to pay $10 and be NPIP certified

4. Siler

Siler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2010
    Central Indiana
    Here in Indiana more farmer's markets are popping up this summer. I saw a listing of them by county so I'm going to be looking into how I might be able to sell some. I *think* that if I just have a few dozen to sell that I can just walk around and tell people, but more than that then I would need a table. I will be looking more into that, but I'd see about the local markets where people are looking for these to find people such as yourself so go that route.

5. PriceFamilyFarms

Apr 18, 2010
    Henderson, NC
  6. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    I really am afraid to draw attention to myself even though I'm legal. Towns are weird and people are weird. So i'm afraid of one just saying something. I have a small fridge to keep things cool, and thought of putting it near the gargage. Course I don't want advertize no one is home either.

What is NPIP certified and how does one become so?

7. PriceFamilyFarms

Apr 18, 2010
    Henderson, NC
    Quote:NPIP is the National Poultry Improvement Plan and it's a program the USDA set up to control diseases in poultry flocks for the most part.

Every state is a little different on how they put NPIP into effect. So the best way to get information is first visit or call the State Dept. of Ag, veterinary Services division, poultry department.

8. trilyn

trilyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    East Syracuse
    Quote:Here, go drive yourself crazy! lol

http://www.agmkt.state.ny.us/AI/AIpoultry.html

There's a ton of different programs and the one you're looking for is under poultry programs, but rancher, you don't need to do this unless you show your birds. Believe it or not, NYS is not that strict on this! Now if you're going to start shipping eggs/chicks out of state....that's a whole nother ball of wax. [​IMG]

9. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Quote:Here, go drive yourself crazy! lol

http://www.agmkt.state.ny.us/AI/AIpoultry.html

There's a ton of different programs and the one you're looking for is under poultry programs, but rancher, you don't need to do this unless you show your birds. Believe it or not, NYS is not that strict on this! Now if you're going to start shipping eggs/chicks out of state....that's a whole nother ball of wax. [​IMG]

Why would it drive me crazy ( and whose to say I'm not already) ?
    I have shipped hatching eggs, does that count? If I join the APA and the Heritage breeds Assoc, (or whatever) doesn't it help if I'm NPIP certified?

I don't intend to show but you never know about these things. When I got started I knew nothing about breed preservation and now I'm hooked on Delawares. Lord have mercy! I've got a couple of promising birds.

I had someone tell me they wouldn't buy my eggs cuz they were afraid people would get sick. They sell baked goods. That put my teeth on edge. So I thought if I were NPIP certified that may help. Not that I would ever sell them eggs at any price now.
    At least it would look good for other customers.

10. PriceFamilyFarms

Apr 18, 2010
    Henderson, NC
    personally I think any of us with a sunstantial backyard flock should get participate in the NPIP. I gives piece of mind knowing your flock is safe. And if you do want to sell a bird or chicks, I believe it makes them a little more valueable because they are coming from an NPIP flock...just my opinion.

FYI, the cost is very minimal, if any. The highest I have see was $25, some states do it for free.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by