Do you sell your eggs?

GSDBESTK9

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 5, 2012
Maryland
What do you do with your eggs? Hubby and I wanted chickens so we could have fresh eggs for ourselves and for our dogs. :) Now my whole family is getting in line for eggs as well and our chicks aren't even laying yet. LOL
But today I mentioned at work that I have chickens and all my co-workers said they would buy fresh eggs from me. Hmmm.

Who do you sell your eggs to and how much do you charge a dozen??

Last edited:
I live in NE Indiana and "farm fresh" eggs go for around $1.50 per doz. My DBIL lives in SW Ohio and sells his for the same price. I let my DH take our extra eggs to work and give them away that way I don't have to worry about how clean they are or if they are a certain size. They are FREE!
wink.png

Crunch your own numbers and then ask yourself, "What must I make per dozen?" given the work involved. For my wife and I, the answer is simple. I'm not doing this for less than a $1 a dozen profit. Period. We sell lots and lots of eggs. If I choose to gift someone with eggs, I will and I do, but outside sales to neighbors, friends, church people, senior center folks?

Yup, $1.50 profit if I can get it, $1 profit is my barest minimum.

to be able to sell eggs you will need at least 8-10 hens with 6 hens you will adverage out mabe an extra dozen or 2 a week after they are laying good. 2-3 dollars is good price.consider food cost

i average 11 dozen eggs a week from my 22 hens. i sell my eggs for 2.00 a dozen. i have 4 regular customers that usually buy all i have . i sold 19 dozen last week.

For eating eggs, $4 for a 6-pack. For hatching eggs $24 a dozen.

If the local market would only bear $1.50 a dozen, I'd cut back the flock until it was just producing what my own family could eat. I'm not providing free slave labor and half the cost of feed to provide eggs for someone else. For that price, it wouldn't surprise me if they want them delivered, too, because cheapskates will push it as far as they can.

Buyers who want eggs can either pay what it costs to produce them, or they are welcome to buy eggs at the local grocery store. There is no reason to raise premium eggs and sell them for mass produced, low quality prices.

I sell mine and I charge 3 dollars a dozen, my brother (who also buys them from me) said I should charge four dollars because they are very high demand lol I have 7 laying hens and at least 13 people who want to buy the eggs!! I need more chickens!!!

Back
Top Bottom