Do you separate your "laying hens" from your "flock?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by texasgal, Dec 28, 2009.

1. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    What I mean is .. do you keep the hens you collect eggs from everyday separate from the hens that you let run with a rooster?

My DH told me last nite that he would be excited when I was able to separate my laying hens from "the rest" .. I asked him why I would do that .. and he looked at me like I was from mars.

"You don't want your rooster being able to get to ALL your chickens do you?"

I asked him if he had a problem with fertilized eggs? Or if he thought that hens with a rooster would go broody and sit on all their eggs .. or what? [​IMG]

I couldn't get a straight answer from him .. other than mumbling something about "laying hens" should be kept separate...

Any thoughts??

I think that he thinks when they breed, they will automatically go broody ... [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
  2. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    I thought my laying hens were my flock. [​IMG]

3. texasgal

Apr 18, 2009
    Quote:Seeeeee??? I'm NOT crazy! I dont' know what he's getting at ... [​IMG] Sometimes I just wish he'd stay out of "my stuff" .. [​IMG]

4. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Quote:Seeeeee??? I'm NOT crazy! I dont' know what he's getting at ... [​IMG] Sometimes I just wish he'd stay out of "my stuff" .. [​IMG]

May be his upbringing, I know there are some that will claim you cant eat fertilized eggs, and some that will claim you cant get eggs without a rooster, Either way someone is wrong. Tell him he will have to build you another coop, or live with having the roo with the hens. And a LAYING HEN COOP has to be BIG. [​IMG]

5. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN

May be his upbringing, I know there are some that will claim you cant eat fertilized eggs, and some that will claim you cant get eggs without a rooster, Either way someone is wrong. Tell him he will have to build you another coop, or live with having the roo with the hens. And a LAYING HEN COOP has to be BIG. [​IMG]

MASSIVE even...[​IMG]

6. texasgal

Apr 18, 2009
    I like the way y'all think! [​IMG]

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Me too. [​IMG]
    ETA: My roo's favorite girl wears a saddle. If anyone wants unfertilized eggs, they could always find the egg from my one hen that refuses to let the roo touch her and as a result never lays a fertile egg.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
  8. sbarab

sbarab Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Conroe, TX
    Show him the BYC links for hen houses. [​IMG]

9. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    He probably has the same aversion to eating fertile eggs as I do. No real basis on why you shouldn't, but, some people simply can't get their minds over eating fertile eggs for whatever reason. I plan to keep my "breakfast" hens seperate from my breeding hens and roos.

10. lildinkem

lildinkem Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    It depends where I am at with the flock. IF I just had bought some hatching eggs from a very desirable breeder, I will collect eggs from hens that usually I would not, anyway just to have the genetic diversity. I bought most of my Marans as hatching eggs, so I am much more likely to just weed out those pullets that are smaller. I have 8 foot by 8 foot pens that I use for breeding. Then I put those bred hens in a separate coop to collect their eggs only for hatching.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by