1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do you shock your chickens?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Wisher1000, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

For all of you who use hot wire around your coops...do you turn it off when they free range or leave it on? Will the birds learn to stay away from it? I am considering using one to protect a guinea who is on a nest and to also run it around the bottom of the coop. Can I leave it on 24/7?

2. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    I have no electric fence but I have considered shocking them when they are acting insane. [​IMG]

3. AKsmama

AKsmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    We turn ours off. They're just not smart enough to stay away from it- ours aren't, anyway.

4. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Odds are they won't bother it much anyway.

Turning it off and on is setting yourself up to forget and risk it being off when you need it most

5. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    On 24/7/365. They get a small jolt, then stay away.

6. harveyhorses

harveyhorses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2010
    Mine do not seem to notice it, I have a low strand around the bottom of the run and I have seen them brushing up against it and not even twitching. Maybe their feathers do not conduct very well. Huh, now I am curious.

7. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

My husband said he thought I meant that I was going to the coop in my birthday suit...now that would shock them! But seriously, I don't want to hurt them or confuse them but I agree that on and off may lead to forgetting and unnecessary losses. Anyone have any stories of their chickens getting into the hot wire?

8. kemclaughlin

kemclaughlin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Garden City, ID
    Quote:[​IMG]

It just doesn't seem very nice to shock them 500 times a day!

9. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

It rarely evens seems to get them, guess the feathers insulate them but when it does, the bird squacks, runs a little, then goes right back to walking thru it. If you are truly worried about escapees, drape deer neting over it.

It's kinda hard to protect birds when they don't listen to the rules!

10. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

Okay, so there's no one out there who has lost a chicken to a hot wire? We found some song birds hanging from the one around the pasture when I was younger, but it was for stock, not dogs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by