DO YOU SMELL THAT?!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by mahen8622, Feb 23, 2009.

1. mahen8622

mahen8622 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    KY
    ok i have a random question and this seemed the best place to post it...
    I went to an auction last wed and won my first auction thinking i was getting a steal on a hen ( turned out to be a cross beak and i didnt know i could refuse her)
    so rewind i got ready in my cute prissy clothes not knowing or thinking that a chicken auction would be the same as horse and cattle auctions where its mostly cowboy hat flannel attire lol and i tried a new trial perfume (from kamora Lee Simmons) ne who after i got the chicken sitting in my lap i started smelling something weird like funky and i still cant decide if it was the bird or my gross trial perfume ( i went home and took a shower asap bc i thought it was grossss) but is a chicken like other animals that can smell sweet or funky if something is WRONG with it?

does funky chicken smell = funky sick chicken?

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Wow ya got me on that one!!!!

3. cluckychick

cluckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    There actually is a chicken disease that puts off a horrible smell. i will have to research because the name just won't come to mind. Hopefully someone else will chime in.

4. abluechipstock

abluechipstock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2009
    fort ashby, wv
    did it have a wound on it, i've smelled some funky chicken smells before, i wonder what its environment was before you got it, oh and don't wera cheap perfume LOL![​IMG]

5. mahen8622

Jan 19, 2009
    KY
    i usually wear armoni code for her lol no kamora lee simmons free trials PLEASE lol

i dunno it was a mix between a SWEET SMELL AND B.O. EEEK i dont think it was the old men that was surrounding me lol

6. mahen8622

Jan 19, 2009
    KY
    ps she had no open wounds or sores on her at all i went over her completely the only thing noticably wrong was her crooked cross beak

7. stephys_fluffybutts

stephys_fluffybutts Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    chickensmackdown
    I have done that b4. (chicken) and It actually turns out is that it was the guy sitting next to me....gahhh is was gross. Talk about not takeing a shower in weeks

Quote:

8. hoosier

hoosier Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I understand vent gleet has an aroma you never forget. There would be a discharge if it were that, so probably not.

9. Jennyhaschicks

Jennyhaschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    I don't know for sure. The only thing that I can say is that we just culled a BO roo last weekend. He was really getting pecked by the other chickens. Even the hens were kicking his butt. Bad. I thought I noticed a really funky smell coming from him. It smelled sort of like and infection, but not really. He was always pushed away from the other chickens and they never let him around him for the past week or so. I decided to cull him because we had too many roos, but I also was worried about him being sick with that odor wreaking form his body.[​IMG]

10. stephys_fluffybutts

stephys_fluffybutts Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    chickensmackdown
    Did you look at the ears?
    They give off a bad aroma if they have an ear infection. You can also see a yellowish stuff sticking out the ear hole

Its gross. I got a bird from an auction like that...I wish I never bothered. But now she is an old fart LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by